Quick oil change valve?

10 replies to this topic
  • flyandride

Posted June 30, 2014 - 08:52 PM

I've got an 09 WR450F.  I would like to replace the oil plugs with some type of valve that could be opened easily instead of taking out plugs.  I change the oil every 10 hours max and would like to make the process easier and quicker.  I've seen and installed that sort of thing on cars, is there anything for bikes?  

• twindaddy

Posted June 30, 2014 - 09:07 PM

I'm sure you could find a small ball valve but I would be worried that it may open while riding. If a small branch got in there or even the force of a hard landing could open it.

• Beau 88

Posted June 30, 2014 - 09:08 PM

:thumbsup:

Attached Thumbnails

• download (3).jpg

• Flagstaff

Posted June 30, 2014 - 09:24 PM

I'm sure you could find a small ball valve but I would be worried that it may open while riding. If a small branch got in there or even the force of a hard landing could open it.

Quick change valve, .5 second. Plug, 10 second. Only advantage I can see is risk of stripping out plug, but you need to know how to torque anyways. Yes, I know they make valves for this purpose.

Mike

• agave248

Posted June 30, 2014 - 09:48 PM

If you want one all you need to know is the thread size but I don't see the advantage. On a dirt bike i see the disadvantage of it sticking out. a brass valve could break on impact and a stainless valve could break the block.

These valves are nice on trucks when you have 40 plus liters of oil and not a container big enough. Its also ice for some machinery, mostly generators, compressors and welders where you can put a hose on the valve,open it and not make a mess.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jdrost72

Posted July 01, 2014 - 04:24 AM

I have one on my welding machine but I wouldn't put one one my dirt bike they stick out further than a plug. Might get knocked off

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 01, 2014 - 05:13 AM

I see the advange: less time, less effort.

But in my opinion, it doe not offset the disadvantages: more leverage on the cases in the case of an impact (case cracking), less clearance and possible no-fit of the skid plate, and failure / loss of oil

I cut holes in my skidplates so you don't have to remove them to change the oil, but with the WR's, that's not really possible, unfortunately.

• stevethe

Posted July 01, 2014 - 06:12 AM

With the plastic skid plates, you can easily grind a hole large enough to not remove the skid plate.

• grayracer513

Posted July 01, 2014 - 11:07 AM

I cut holes in my skidplates so you don't have to remove them to change the oil, but with the WR's, that's not really possible, unfortunately.

Why not?  My Devol came with a ~1 x 2" slot for access to the sump drain, and I put one in for the "tank" drain myself:

http://www.thumperta...plate-in-place/

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 01, 2014 - 01:44 PM

Well yeah, that is trickness.

• MaxPower

Posted July 05, 2014 - 10:45 AM

I don't see spinning a 14mm (or whatever size it is) out as being all that inconvenient or time consuming. But it is great you wish to keep fresh oil in your bike all the time.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.