difference in wheels between 426 and 450

7 replies to this topic
  • dg400sm

Posted June 30, 2014 - 07:27 PM

hi guys,i'm new to this forum. i have a yz426 which i am looking to motard. ( i know i should be in the yz426 section but i am looking to convert it to wr spec so bare with me) there is a set of mc22 cbr wheels set up for a 2006 wr450. for sale. does anybody know if these wheels will bolt straight up.  also i would like to change the cam timing to the same as wr spec to remove the aggressiveness of the yz motor. anybody with wr's changed there cam timing the other way and noticed a big difference,did you change it back again for any reason? 

cheers guys

• MaxPower

Posted July 04, 2014 - 02:56 PM

Do not go backwards to WR cam timing. Install a larger countershaft sprocket .
I am very sure the wheels will work. If not they will be close enough to make work

• dg400sm

Posted July 05, 2014 - 01:11 AM

whats the reason you don't recommend the wr cam timing? i'm looking for more torque than horsepower or does the wr cam timing make it lose both?

• jentzschman

Posted July 05, 2014 - 07:44 AM

whats the reason you don't recommend the wr cam timing? i'm looking for more torque than horsepower or does the wr cam timing make it lose both?

Good question, I am curious as well. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MaxPower

Posted July 05, 2014 - 10:35 AM

The best way I can explain it is when I installed the yz cam is my WR ran like it blew its nose. To me the way the engine used to run didn't feel as though it had more torque with the WR cam.You could charge the cam one tooth to try it but its my opinion you are wasting you time

• grayracer513

Posted July 07, 2014 - 01:50 PM

The wheels will fit, but you'll need to use the axles and spacers from the 426.  The front uses a speedo drive on the right side that takes the place of the spacer there, so you either have to use the drive, or fab a spacer to take its place and seal the wheel bearing.

The YZ426 does not suffer form a lack of torque.  Stepping back to WR timing just makes the engine asthmatic, and causes the loss of both low and mid-to-upper power.

• dg400sm

Posted July 07, 2014 - 03:02 PM

The wheels will fit, but you'll need to use the axles and spacers from the 426.  The front uses a speedo drive on the right side that takes the place of the spacer there, so you either have to use the drive, or fab a spacer to take its place and seal the wheel bearing.

The YZ426 does not suffer form a lack of torque.  Stepping back to WR timing just makes the engine asthmatic, and causes the loss of both low and mid-to-upper power.

thanks thats a great help. if i may quizz you more about the wheel spacers. the reason i am asking about the wr450 wheels is i have decided to put cbr250rr wheels on my bike,this is a very common replacement on the wr450 and all the spacer measurements can be easily found but i can't find information for the 426. is there only a spacer difference for the front wheel.? if both the 426 and 450 hubs are the same then i should be able to use the measurements from the wr450 spacer

heres the link for what i would like to do

http://motard-superm...s-supermoto.htm

• grayracer513

Posted July 07, 2014 - 03:13 PM

The WR hub is identical to a YZ hub in any given year.  Use the spacers that match the bike, and the rear hub will fit.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.