02 Yz426 fork seals

4 replies to this topic
  • Spartan426

Posted June 30, 2014 - 01:41 PM

Quick question with my 2002 yz426, I'm in the process of rebuilding it and when I was taking apart the front end I noticed my fork seal was leaking on the caliper side fork, I'd like to do the seals my self this time and save some cash so I went in YouTube and found this video by dirt rider. It seems great and straight forward I just wanted to ask and make sure this is the style fork I have? Being a dual chamber as such in the video here's a link.

Also he doesn't go over bleeding the inner cartridge, how often should that be done? I had these rebuilt by a shop two years ago, but does it depend on the color of the fluid? Or should I find another video and bleed the inner cartridge regardless?

Thanks for any insight!

• grayracer513

Posted June 30, 2014 - 02:00 PM

Wrong fork.  Those in the vid are '06 or later.  You need one for an '03 one before.  The inner cartridges in your fork never need bleeding, as they are not closed off from the fork oil. 

The cartridges also don't need to be removed to service the seals.  The video can be used, but not all of it. 

Short form:

Unscrew the caps (loosen them while still on the bike with the top clamp loose, the bottom clamp tight) and dump the oil.

Count the clicks in on one rebound adjuster (on the fork cap), then back both all the way out til they stop.

Pull down the spring to expose the cap lock nut, insert a 17mm wrench to hold it, and remove the caps from the rod, along with the spring and any guide you find.  Don't remove the cartridges (the process is different than in the vid)

**NOW follow the video from the part after the cartridges were removed from that later fork.  Separate the tubes the same way as in the vid and replace the seals the same way.  Once the main tubes are back together with the new seals, turn the video back off.

With the tubes back together and the spring still out, collapse the main tubes and the damper rods and fill the fork to near the top of the inner tube.

Stroke the damper through 10-15 half strokes to fill the damper, the set the oil level to 110mm below the top of the outer tube, with everything collapsed completely.

Pull the rod up drop the spring on, replace any hardware that went on top of the spring or rod, and run the lock nut down to the end of the threads.  Spin the cap down until it stops on the rod, then run the lock nut up against the cap and tighten it

Screw the caps back in and you're done.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hooliganone

Posted June 30, 2014 - 05:36 PM

I just did mine last week, I googled conventional fork seal replacement and Rocky Mountain MC had a video for both conventional and dual chamber forks. It was super easy. I bought a complete kit with all the bushings & dust seals.

• Spartan426

Posted July 02, 2014 - 11:29 AM

Thanks Grey for writing all that out, most of it made sense but I'm still new to forks so I got a little lost. I did find another video on youtube by "johnnyshop" and he did the whole procedure on a 2003 yz250f. I'm guessing those forks are the same as mine?

I also didn't realize the procedure was in my Clymer manual...lol :banghead:   So I read trough it there too. the 2003 yz250f videos look the same as the pictures in my clymer manual.

I just did mine last week, I googled conventional fork seal replacement and Rocky Mountain MC had a video for both conventional and dual chamber forks. It was super easy. I bought a complete kit with all the bushings & dust seals.

Thanks for the tip! i had seen their video for dual chamber but not for the conventional. (I guess thats what my older style forks are called?)  I'll make sure to check out that video before I begin the process.

Thanks again for the help guys! :ride:

while were on the topic of suspension, are the rear mono shocks all the same? or are there two different styles like with forks. I'm not sure yet but my rear shock may need to be serviced too. I found a video by rockymountainMC and it looks easy enough. In the video he didn't say what bike the shock is from.

• grayracer513

Posted July 02, 2014 - 02:33 PM

Thanks Grey for writing all that out, most of it made sense but I'm still new to forks so I got a little lost. I did find another video on youtube by "johnnyshop" and he did the whole procedure on a 2003 yz250f. I'm guessing those forks are the same as mine?

I'm not sure yet but my rear shock may need to be serviced too. I found a video by rockymountainMC and it looks easy enough. In the video he didn't say what bike the shock is from.

'03 forks are the same as yours. 

KYB shocks are similar enough from '98 onward to be able to use the same procedures on most all of them.   They're simpler than the forks, IMO, but there are cautions to be observed. 

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.