I lost my fuel screw

15 replies to this topic
  • RichB

Posted January 19, 2002 - 04:19 PM

Wouldn't you know it, but I pay my jack to ride practice at the speedway this morning, get in about 7 laps and the bike starts sputtering. It was cold and I had adjusted the screw earlier. I swear it was only 2.5 out. Anyway, suggest that if you're around 2.5 out and/or the screw starts to feel like it's turning easier than it should; turn it in some.

I don't know if the spring got weak or the weight of the adjuster contributed to it backing out or not.

Luckily the mechanic at my local shop was nice enough to hook me up with one so I could ride this weekend. The part that sucks is our track just re-opened after a month and a half off, reconfigured etc. Now I have to wait until next month for a sat practice again or hope it warms up at night a lot so I can go to regular practice.

• yzernie

Posted January 21, 2002 - 11:52 PM

Rich,

Well now.......That cool adjuster may not be the way to go???!!! I wonder if motoman393 has had any problems with his.

Hoping to get out of working weekends soon. I would like to try to get up your way and try out the track(s) in your neck of the woods.

Ernie

• motoman393

Posted January 22, 2002 - 09:50 AM

Nope no problems here! I have mine set at 1 7/8 turns out (with 42 pilot) I adjust mine almost every time I ride! I would be willing to bet that the Kouba is heavier than my "jimmy rigged" adjuster, Im sure we will here more stories like this since there are about 4 million people with quick adjust fuel screws (thanks NH Kevin LOL) Later,

Garrett

• motoman393

Posted January 22, 2002 - 04:30 PM

It looks like a few others have had the same problem with the Kouba's http://www.thumperta...c&f=29&t=000887

• Wyatt

Posted January 22, 2002 - 05:42 PM

Looks like fiddling around with my super short screw driver is not such a bad idea after all.

• yzernie

Posted January 22, 2002 - 07:42 PM

Originally posted by Wyatt:
Looks like fiddling around with my super short screw driver is not such a bad idea after all.

I think you may be right. If you use caution while sticking your hand in there you don't even burn it.

Ernie

• edareus

Posted January 24, 2002 - 11:28 AM

I have been riding with motoman393s set up with no problems. Don't ride MX though. All my riding is woods. I do ride aggresive, used to race harescrambles. I used red loctite and I am at a 1 1/4 turns out on screw. Stock jetting. I have been reading TT a long time but just now registered. Thought my .02 would help.

[ January 24, 2002: Message edited by: edareus ]

• RichB

Posted January 25, 2002 - 01:47 PM

I don't know guys, maybe I should've tried what someone said on another thread which was basically they made theirs so long that it cannot fall down and out. Someone else said they safety wire their in. I went under the impression that the length of the rode coupled with the length I had the handle portion may have contributed to it wobbling out so this time I made everything shorter. I can't as easily reach down and adjust it like before but I still can adjust it by hand if I'm off the bike. Time will tell...

I should note that I'd been riding with it for a solid 2 months before this happened. Maybe I had it out more than I thought I did or maybe the spring just wasn't strong enough.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MN_Kevin

Posted January 26, 2002 - 12:22 AM

Something I have noted on my WR400: I have lost more nuts/bolts on this bike due to vibration than all my other bikes combined: (2)-YZ250's, YZ465, CR250, DT250, KS125, XT250, QA50, Z50R, Seca650, GPZ1100, GS425, CB750F, Ninja 900, Puch 50.

In fact, I think I have lost more nuts/bolts on my WR than I have lost doing anything that included nuts/bolts!!

Probably a smart thing is to check it occasionally... :D along w/ EVERY OTHER NUT AND BOLT!!! :)

• yzernie

Posted January 26, 2002 - 03:10 AM

Originally posted by RichB:
I had adjusted the screw earlier. I swear it was only 2.5 out

Sooooo Rich.......it wasn't just my imagination that you had a screw loose when we rode at VMC!!!!!!! :)

Just kidding, Ernie

• RichB

Posted January 26, 2002 - 05:09 AM

HA! You should've known that anyone that would drive 200 miles one way, by himself, with partially healed ribs, to ride practice at a track with a bunch of old farts, in 30 degree weather, has got to have a screw loose! :)

Now that we've acknowleded my state of mind I was thinking that maybe you don't have to be as crazy as I thought you did to do this moto-caching thing. But if we decide to do that and anyone gets bit by a diamondback below the waist; they're dead. Man's got to draw a line somewhere.......

• Shawn_Mc

Posted January 28, 2002 - 09:04 AM

I made an adjuster not unlike Motomans out of a piece of 3/16 brakeline but I soldered it to the screw and soldered a 3/16 fender washer to the bottom for the grip. My thing really is this: How much adjustment is actually in that screw? In other words, is the screw still metering fuel beyond 2 turns or is it basically wide open? I was playing with mine over the weekend and it seemed like that past 2 turns the screw had no effect on the adjustment while the bike was running. My pilot is stock, and it seems like the bike wants more at idle. My thought about this is maybe the screw was never intended to be more that 2 full turns out, which may have caused the fuel screw to fall out simply because it was barely hanging in there in the first place. :) :D

• yzernie

Posted January 28, 2002 - 09:38 AM

But if we decide to do that and anyone gets bit by a diamondback below the waist; they're dead. Man's got to draw a line somewhere.......

Don't even want to think about that. I just hope it isn't me!!!! :)

Ernie

• RichB

Posted January 28, 2002 - 04:55 PM

Shawn that's a good question but I believe I've noticed some difference between 2 and 3 out. Personally, I won't back mine out more than 2 or 2 1/4 now. I'm running the stock pilot too and depending on what gas I'm running I can tell it needs to go 1 richer on that circuit. I've just been to lazy to order another pilot, just been going closer to 100% race gas instead of the 50/50 I was doing. Vegas is a nightmare for jetting, we're riding anywhere around 40-50 degrees right now and in the summer we'll be riding in 100 plus degree temps. I just need to get my act together and get a richer pilot for this time of year.

Out.

• freestyle111

Posted January 28, 2002 - 08:30 PM

who needs fuel screw.i was riding a couple weeks ago without mainjet.a couple hours into my weekend of riding my bike got really hard to start.its usually starts first kick but for some reason it started taking 30 or 40 kicks.but when it started it ran great actually seem to have more topend than ever,so i didnt concern myself with starting troubles.finally at end of second day of riding i decided i better rejett before my leg falls off.when i pulled out drainplug on botton of float bowl i was surprised to find mainjet laying on its side in bottom of drain plug.i screw it back in and bike was right back to starting on first kick.but im still amazed at how well bike ran without mainjet.i amazed it ran at all.

• yzernie

Posted January 29, 2002 - 05:33 AM

HA! You should've known that anyone that would drive 200 miles one way, by himself, with partially healed ribs, to ride practice at a track with a bunch of old farts, in 30 degree weather, has got to have a screw loose!

You're right!!! I'm such a dumbass!!!

Ernie

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.