Have any WR owners rode the KTM500?

25 replies to this topic
  • Monk

Posted August 22, 2014 - 04:21 PM

2015 KTM 450sxf is $11,300 before taxes, PDT, freight....

I don't want to know what a new 350/500exc is going to cost...

• Tommyk_55

Posted August 22, 2014 - 04:29 PM

I had the 2012 500 XC-W, with extensive suspension tuning, JD Jetting tuner box, and full ergo mods

It felt light, very 'quality' feel and damn sexy.

...but the power, suspension, brakes, and ergos were just not up to par for me, so I sold it.

I replaced it with a 2008 WR450 that I modified with YZ parts. Muuuuuuch better, but heavier.

If you like the cab forward mountain bike type handling, and power that comes on very soft (they call it 'smooth') then you might like one.

Your the only person in the world that thinks wr's have stronger brakes than a Ktm.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 22, 2014 - 04:38 PM

Your the only person in the world that thinks wr's have stronger brakes than a Ktm.

I never said they had stronger brakes

I said they had BETTER brakes.  They are not as strong. Who cares.

Brakes that don't fade, that don't overheat, that don't require kicking the caliper and flicking the lever to do on the trail fixes. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • adam500

Posted August 22, 2014 - 05:34 PM

Pretty off topic here...

But when I see Yamaha and KTM, I think of the bike I always wanted to build.

That would be a later 90's 440 KTM 2 stroke motor in a aluminum WR chassis.

Those 440's were sick motors. Short stroke, high strung rev happy WITH the same peak HP as a CR500 motor.

But with the neutral predictable handling of the WR frame. 

The EXC model came with a stator big enough to power a headlight. No e start but I think it would be a good combo.

Fun bike, fun to build.

Edited by adam500, August 22, 2014 - 05:42 PM.

• adam500

Posted August 22, 2014 - 05:40 PM

And to "KIND OF" get back on topic...

Been in the KTM world. I even had a GREAT local dealer and I still got out of it.

If I were to drop 10 grand on a bike with knobbies it would NOT be a KTM OR a Yamaha.

It would be a 300 Christini AWD.

300 Gas Gas e-start motor with AWD seems to make WAY more sense than ANY model KTM.

Edited by adam500, August 22, 2014 - 05:44 PM.

• Chaconne

Posted August 22, 2014 - 06:47 PM

I never said they had stronger brakes

I said they had BETTER brakes.  They are not as strong. Who cares.

Brakes that don't fade, that don't overheat, that don't require kicking the caliper and flicking the lever to do on the trail fixes. 

+1 Agreed.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.