First oil change after break in. ...Too much metal?

9 replies to this topic
  • yzUSMCf

Posted June 26, 2014 - 10:01 PM

Put 1.2 Hrs on 14' yz450f and did an oil change. Which according to the manual it only takes 1 hr to break in.This is my first new bike I know that there was going to be some metallic in the oil from parts mating/ machine process ect but would like your thoughts on the subject. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• 1403848901321.jpg
  • 1403848915804.jpg
  • 1403848934521.jpg

• leo 450yfz

Posted June 26, 2014 - 10:16 PM

Put 1.2 Hrs on 14' yz450f and did an oil change. Which according to the manual it only takes 1 hr to break in.This is my first new bike I know that there was going to be some metallic in the oil from parts mating/ machine process ect but would like your thoughts on the subject. Thanks!

It might be the flash, but seems like a little much to me.

One thing it could be: if you are riding your clutch a little too hard, and getting shavings from that as well. You could use a magnet to see if all of those shavings are magnetic, if they are not. Check your clutch basket. Top cover too, when I got my 2010, before I got rid of the hit in the bottom, I was getting a lot of shavings as well. My basket was more or less fine, but my pressure plate was getting very visible grooves in the wells from the springs. 

As soon as I got rid of the hit (and stopped clutching so much to compensate for it), that problem was gone, I still use the old pressure plate, but I'm not getting any more metal in the oil. 

Anyways, that might not be your problem, but if you have doubts, that's something that's easy to check. 

Edited by leo 450yfz, June 26, 2014 - 11:54 PM.

• zeuszuki

Posted June 26, 2014 - 11:17 PM

Each bike varies. Looks pretty normal to me, throw some fresh oil and a filter in there and see how things look at 5 hours run time.

• yzUSMCf

Posted June 27, 2014 - 05:54 AM

I didn't clutch it up while on the track and rode it moderate the flakes are very small you can't even feel them in your fingers

• YzCas

Posted June 27, 2014 - 08:28 AM

I didn't clutch it up while on the track and rode it moderate the flakes are very small you can't even feel them in your fingers

l Just picked up a13 450.
Is the oil filler on the stater side opposite of the clutch? I'm new to new yzs I have 450 , Kxf
rmz450f. I just bought a used 13 yzf450. Is the oil filler the black cap on the left opposite the clutch?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzUSMCf

Posted June 27, 2014 - 10:03 AM

If its similar the the 14's I believe so. You should pick up a manual it will help alot

• yzUSMCf

Posted June 27, 2014 - 10:04 AM

I thought you said starter woops... on the 14' 450 its on the right side in front of the cover

• grayracer513

Posted June 28, 2014 - 06:14 AM

l Just picked up a13 450.
Is the oil filler on the stater side opposite of the clutch? I'm new to new yzs I have 450 , Kxf
rmz450f. I just bought a used 13 yzf450. Is the oil filler the black cap on the left opposite the clutch?

http://www.thumperta...2-model-yz450s/

• DanielMerrick

Posted June 28, 2014 - 10:25 AM

Mine did the same thing the clutch cable wasn't adjusted correctly and causing clutch slip, 10 hours later and 4 oil changes everything looks good!

• YzCas

Posted June 28, 2014 - 10:28 AM

thanks guys. I had a scare it was making a rocks in a can noise and it didn't do it when I bout it.
only when in gear moving otherwise perfect bike is a rocket. Well I noticed the chain was loose so I tightened it the sound went away thank god.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.