Free piston mod 2014

4 replies to this topic
  • CZRoger

Posted June 25, 2014 - 07:47 AM

Just replaced another set of fork seals, thought I'd do the free piston mod as well.

The forks have a noticeable click feel/sound in the first 3-4" inches of stroke. I don't recall this prior, maybe just didn't notice. Normal, or time for disassembly? I have yet to ride the bike again.

• grayracer513

Posted June 25, 2014 - 07:57 AM

Stock springs?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CZRoger

Posted June 25, 2014 - 08:08 AM

No, TBT installed a set of firmer springs for my weight when I first purchased the bike mid last year. Come to find out they are the older, shorter springs with a machined spacer to make up the difference.

• grayracer513

Posted June 25, 2014 - 08:38 AM

Aftermarket springs will sometimes have an increased tendency to  pitch or buckle sideways at some point in their compression instead of all the coils running perfectly in a cylindrical shape, which can lead to clicks and squeaks and other odd noises.  Might look for something loose at the valve stems, etc., too.

• CZRoger

Posted June 25, 2014 - 08:56 AM

Thanks Gray. I'll check it out.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.