Neutral switch 2005 yz450f

3 replies to this topic
  • gcrouse

Posted June 24, 2014 - 07:24 PM

Ok have a question have a 2005 yz450f and ordered the neutral switch cover to remove the switch but I have took both screws out and can not get the switch out am I missing something I know it has a spring on the other side but it's like the switch is stuck in there any help would be appreciated on how to get this thing out thanks

• grayracer513

Posted June 25, 2014 - 06:50 AM

The switch is sealed by an O-ring around a cylindrical extension that fits into a bore.  Look at the new one.  The O-ring is probably just stuck.  Get under two opposite sides of the switch with small screwdrivers and pop it out. 

What is it you're trying to accomplish by replacing the switch with a cover?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gcrouse

Posted June 25, 2014 - 07:20 AM

Ok thanks and somehow something has broke one side off around the bolt and it started leaking around it so just seen tht plug for sale online would you go back with another switch instead of the plug

• grayracer513

Posted June 25, 2014 - 08:29 AM

The function of the switch is twofold.  By telling the CDI when the bike is in neutral, the switch causes the rev limit to be lowered when the bike is out of gear (from 11,500 to ~7000), and tweaks the timing curve so that it has a better chance of passing sound tests.   IMO, it's more a matter of which one is more expensive.  The switch or its absence will not affect performance in any way.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.