&%$#@! just came out of my engine - pic inside

24 replies to this topic
  • mvrk10256

Posted June 24, 2014 - 05:38 PM

Feels like a heavy weight oil, smells like something heavier than engine oil. Is turquoise .... any thoughts?

post-393954-0-66049400-1403660276_thumb.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20140624_183413.jpg

• boomman

Posted June 24, 2014 - 05:46 PM

When you put Otter-Pops in your engine instead oil you're going to have a bad time.

Edited by boomman, June 24, 2014 - 10:58 PM.

• Beau 88

Posted June 24, 2014 - 05:47 PM

New to you bike , first oil change ? What did you put in it? Really need some more info . Some people put all kinds of weird additives in oil in all colors. 

• WALKINGWOUNDED

Posted June 24, 2014 - 05:50 PM

What type of engine coolant are you using?

Are you low of engine coolant?

• WALKINGWOUNDED

Posted June 24, 2014 - 05:51 PM

Also, what year, make and model?

• condor74

Posted June 24, 2014 - 06:09 PM

I know the oil that we bought from the KTM dealership the other day was greenish blue in color.  The brand name escapes me.  That mixed with coolant could produce that color of oil.  Either way, I would suspect a leaking water pump blue oil to be the culprit.  If it was dunked under water, it could make it look like that as well.  Is your coolant level dropping?  If your coolant level is full then I would suspect outside source for water.  If it is dropping then you need to find the source.  Water pump, head gasket or cracked head would be possible issues.  Go with easiest first.  I would drain the oil.  Buy a reseal kit for the water pump.  Install the reseal kit.  Fill it full of coolant and oil again.  Warm it up and then drain the oil again to get the rest of the coolant residue out.  You can use cheaper oil for this if you want.  You are not riding the bike.  Just warming it up.  After that, put your normal oil in it and ride.  Keep an eye on it to see if it is getting coolant in the oil still.

Edited by condor74, June 24, 2014 - 06:10 PM.

• mvrk10256

Posted June 24, 2014 - 07:06 PM

Bike is new to me. Used '03 YZ450f. Coolant was green adn way low. This stuff isnt diluted or mixed at least not with anything water based. 

• mvrk10256

Posted June 24, 2014 - 07:14 PM

I originally thought the water pump was leaking when I got it (running it would drip a bit from the weep hole), so I have the new kit on order. However I decided to get ready for it by draining the oil today and got a bit of a surprise. Coolant would not change the color of the oil, however I would imagine some manufacturers make oil in colors to help you flush the old stuff out. 

• Tro1086

Posted June 24, 2014 - 07:17 PM

Reminds me of the color of "Engine Ice" coolant.

• Beau 88

Posted June 24, 2014 - 07:21 PM

I originally thought the water pump was leaking when I got it (running it would drip a bit from the weep hole), so I have the new kit on order. However I decided to get ready for it by draining the oil today and got a bit of a surprise. Coolant would not change the color of the oil, however I would imagine some manufacturers make oil in colors to help you flush the old stuff out. 

I would flush that engine with clean oil , fill it up and drain . just cheap stuff. Try to get all that water out. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mvrk10256

Posted June 24, 2014 - 07:23 PM

Ya I got an extra gallon of Rotella. Going to fill it up and run it a few times to get the sump cleaned out and then drain it again. Hopefully that is the only issue. Despite the leak the bike ran great after I cleaned out the pilot jet. 

• SellYour4Stroke

Posted June 24, 2014 - 07:37 PM

A google search yielded Valvoline VR1 synthetic as being a sapphire blue color...

• mvrk10256

Posted June 24, 2014 - 07:48 PM

A google search yielded Valvoline VR1 synthetic as being a sapphire blue color...

Looked at some images online. Looks pretty much dead nuts on. Weird stuff. 

• grayracer513

Posted June 25, 2014 - 06:39 AM

Coolant would have turned the oil into a "milk shake" foam.  Also, coolant cannot leak into the engine oil through a leaky water pump seal, simply because there IS a weep hole for it to escape through before it puts pressure on the oil seal. 

• mvrk10256

Posted June 25, 2014 - 06:56 AM

Coolant would have turned the oil into a "milk shake" foam.  Also, coolant cannot leak into the engine oil through a leaky water pump seal, simply because there IS a weep hole for it to escape through before it puts pressure on the oil seal. 

Correct. I dont have milk shake. I have a leak of coolant on the floor. 

• drtrcr400

Posted June 25, 2014 - 07:24 AM

Looks like gear oil to me.

• Arctic Pride

Posted June 25, 2014 - 07:29 AM

Bike is new to me. Used '03 YZ450f. Coolant was green adn way low. This stuff isnt diluted or mixed at least not with anything water based. 

Call the prev owner and ask what they put in it

• grayracer513

Posted June 25, 2014 - 08:32 AM

If the bike is new to you, you might want to have a look at this:

http://www.thumperta...e/#entry7615908

...and this:

http://www.thumperta...0-coolant-leak/

...and browse through the rest of the Common Threads sticky.

• AFelix

Posted June 25, 2014 - 10:21 AM

I agree with the Valvoline VR-1, see this link     http://speedtalk.com...php?f=1&t=31224

• mvrk10256

Posted June 25, 2014 - 11:33 AM

Looks like gear oil to me.

Valvoline Vr-1 Apparently

Call the prev owner and ask what they put in it

Clearly the original owner (guy whose name is on the title) spent a lot of money, The guys I got this bike from had no clue about anything. 

If the bike is new to you, you might want to have a look at this:

http://www.thumperta...e/#entry7615908

...and this:

http://www.thumperta...0-coolant-leak/

...and browse through the rest of the Common Threads sticky.

I have been reading those threads, unfortunatly none of them refer to blue oil coming out of your engine. 

I agree with the Valvoline VR-1, see this link     http://speedtalk.com...php?f=1&t=31224

Ya. Its good stuff but I am not an $8/qt kind of guy. 

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.