02 XR650R random noise & binding in kickstarter

15 replies to this topic
  • STEALTH4SE

Posted January 22, 2004 - 09:32 PM

:thinking:bought this bike brand new in 02 it has developed an intermitent noise and binding like metal-metal
when kick starting.when releasing the compression w/lever the binding goes away.its only when theres lots of pressure on the kickstarter. Only seems to happen when it's warm and not all the time. Wondering if anyone else is having this type of problem and if so do u know the cause & or cure.
Not really wanting to split the case to look inside at this time. Thanks

• qadsan

Posted January 22, 2004 - 09:53 PM

Have you checked your valve clearances lately? By any chance does the engine sometimes also cut out at higher RPM like its losing power? I'm wondering if the auto decompressor on the cam is malfunctioning? What kind of noise is this intermittent noise? Is it a humming, clanking, buzzing, whirling, or knocking noise? Is it rythmic, loud, quiet, etc? Is the noise coming from the right, left, top, or bottom of the engine or is it too hard to tell? Got anymore details?

• STEALTH4SE

Posted January 22, 2004 - 10:56 PM

The noise is only happening when the kickstarter is being shoved down under compression. It almost stops the kickstarter completely.Sounds like aluminium grinding and gauling around the starting mechanism area.really to hard to tell.Could almost feel like piston gauling and stopping in the bore. After the engine starts there is no noise and it runs perfectly.And no I have not checked valve clearances.When the starter comes to a stop and makes the noise you can pull the compression release and the motor spins freely.Its loud enough for another rider to hear when standing next to the bike. Thanks for your information and ideas.

• big t

Posted January 23, 2004 - 12:03 AM

Pull the right side cover off and check the gears for the kickstarter. Be careful if you haven't pulled the cover off before. There is a small metal tube about 3/8-1/2" long with an o ring on it and it will fall out if your not careful. I took mine off to clean the oil screen and almost put it back on with that metal tube inside the engine. I just happened to look at the picture in my manual and noticed it was missing. I found it under the transmission with a magnet. Thought I was going to have to split the cases. That would have sucked. If I had put it back together without getting it out there's no telling what damage would have been done. I was lucky.

• nwjohn

Posted January 23, 2004 - 07:11 PM

I too had this happen to me once or twice perhaps many times. But once i realized that it was my steel plate in my head shifting around when i was jumping on the kicker, I realized it dont bother me any more . LOL . I too have heard this bike do this and have actualy been on it when this has happened( no he`s not crazy)this is a serious noise that sounds BAD definatly alum or steel gaulding together ,the bike runs good every where in the power band and no ratteling or loose noises . Good luck Joe i hope some one can help. ur ridin bro :)

• XR/CRDave

Posted January 23, 2004 - 07:32 PM

Mine 00 650R does this once in awhile, sounds like to kick starter swivel or something in that area is binding , but I never thought much about it. Maybe some lube would help.

• nwjohn

Posted January 30, 2004 - 09:41 PM

ummmmm can you still post on somthing this old ???? :) :D

• Haggis

Posted January 31, 2004 - 01:53 AM

I think this noise is something to do with the mechanism that prevents the kicker kicking back when starting. Its a type of clutch that allows the shaft to spin and not the kicker to avoid those broken ankles !!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cybergod27

Posted February 09, 2004 - 03:53 AM

I have an 00 650r and mine makes the noise too, cold or hot, but only when when you really hammer on the kicker, if you take it easy on it alot, it wont do it. But this made me mad and so this winter i tore the engine down to inspect it. and i found nothing , at all. the only thing that looked abnormal was the journal where the kickstarter shaft rides in , it looked "a very little" worn. so , other than that i have no idea, please help , John

• nwjohn

Posted February 20, 2004 - 11:46 AM

When you tore yours down did you notice any clutching mechanism for kick back? and if so what did it look like ?
This really intrigues me because ive heard this my self and almost cant believe its good!
thanks jw

• big t

Posted March 16, 2004 - 02:49 AM

I know this is an old post but I heard this on mine on my last ride. Just wondering if anyone has anymore info. Not to concerned but curious. I will pull the right side cover off on the next oil change (need to clean the screen one more time anyway).

• Shinyboat

Posted July 14, 2007 - 07:16 AM

Did any of you solve the issue? I am getting this problem now. How did you fix it?

• bigredpig

Posted March 04, 2011 - 03:53 PM

Did any of you solve the issue? I am getting this problem now. How did you fix it?

I have this going on and have the bike a part now. I see nothing wrong no wear on any thing. I will be replacing the kick start shaft, bearing and seals but it looks great. has anyone found a fix for this?

• jokerflingo

Posted March 05, 2011 - 02:52 AM

I have this going on and have the bike a part now. I see nothing wrong no wear on any thing. I will be replacing the kick start shaft, bearing and seals but it looks great. has anyone found a fix for this?

Not after 4 years i dont think :thumbsup:

• Shinyboat

Posted March 05, 2011 - 09:46 AM

Mine has done it for a few years too and never went away. Its just something I got used to and never seemed to cause any real problems.

• bigredpig

Posted March 06, 2011 - 09:23 PM

Mine has done it for a few years too and never went away. Its just something I got used to and never seemed to cause any real problems.

mine is getting bad :thumbsup: I need to get it worked out

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.