Need help please.

5 replies to this topic
  • DunmireD001

Posted June 21, 2014 - 08:33 PM

Ok, here's the story. I have a 2001 wr426f that ran perfectly an started on the first kick every time. I'm working on making it street legal, and wiring up a battery and lights/ horn...

Well I have got a few parts in the mail, one of which is a trail tech regulator/ rectifier.

So today I was attempting to "float the ground" so I could run the new ground wire to my new trail tech regulator/ rectifier.

Well I pulled the side cover, pulled the flywheel, pulled the stator (with the backing plate) and then cut the negative stator wire. Then I soldered on my new negative wire, routed it out of the back of the stator with the other wires, and put the flywheel back on along with the case. That's as far as I went because I wanted to check to make sure the bike still ran fine. (After going into the stator and messing with the wires).

When I tried to kick it, nothing. Kicked it several times through with and without the choke on. Still nothing...
So I pulled the spark plug and kicked it with the plug hooked to the wire, and no spark.

So I basically have floated the ground, (as I was instructed) and now I have lost spark. I have not hooked up the new regulator rectifier yet because I didn't think that would be a difference on making the bike run or not.

Anyone got any ideas as to why I lost spark, or how I can get it back???

• flyandride

Posted June 21, 2014 - 10:13 PM

Here's a picture of your stator with arrows pointing to the 2 wires that need to be connected to each other and disconnected from ground.  You didn't mess with the white coil, did you?  

stator-mod.jpg

And here's a wiring diagram, it's from my 01 WR250F but it's the same. 

WR250F wiring.jpg

Notice that there's a black wire coming from the CDI box.  After the float job it's no longer grounded. 

I did what you're doing to my bike and had to find that wire and ground it.  Then I had spark.  

I put a small ballistic battery in the air box and it all worked.  

• DunmireD001

Posted June 22, 2014 - 01:16 AM

OK, I have not messed with the white coil. here is a picture of where I am at thus far. I have unsoldered the Grounded coil, and ran my new wire behind the base plate and soldered those 2 together.

Are you sure I need to tie the other black wire in with my new black wire? Not that I don't believe you, I just never saw that mentioned in the other forum I originally read this from. But the writer of it could have left it out, or done it another way.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DunmireD001

Posted June 22, 2014 - 01:21 AM

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1403428875.042288.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1403428898.193641.jpg

• flyandride

Posted June 22, 2014 - 05:01 AM

The way you did it should work and not lose the ground to the CDI like mine did.  But in the picture it looks like there's some damage to the white coil.  You need to check continuity between the green, pink and brown wires coming from that.  There should be near zero ohms between those 3.  If you've damaged the coil you will get no spark.

• DunmireD001

Posted June 22, 2014 - 11:32 AM

The way you did it should work and not lose the ground to the CDI like mine did. But in the picture it looks like there's some damage to the white coil. You need to check continuity between the green, pink and brown wires coming from that. There should be near zero ohms between those 3. If you've damaged the coil you will get no spark.

I thought that might be the issue. I think one of my flywheel puller bolts was in too far and damaged it as I was pulling the flywheel. But I wanted to eliminate any other reasons first.
Oh well. $150 for a used one on eBay.. That's the price of learning my lesson.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.