Clicking Noise

3 replies to this topic
  • DatWR400FDo

Posted June 18, 2014 - 04:45 PM

Hi, I recently purchased a 1999 WR400F, and today, a clicking noise started coming from the engine. It sounds like it's coming from under the valve cover. However, I just changed the oil and filter, and had to loosen up the header to do so. When I started the bike and took it out for a spin to warm it up, it started making the clicking noise after 2-3 minutes or riding, and gets louder when the rpms increase. Other than that, the bike seems to be running just fine. Would the header be the primary suspect, or am I missing something?

• Thommo_400f

Posted June 18, 2014 - 09:33 PM

Clicking would not likely be header. If it was misaligned it would most likely suck air and you would get a backfire on decel.

Take the valve cover off.

Pull decomp lever and get someone to kick it over so you can have a good look and listen without it starting up.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz125rider209

Posted June 18, 2014 - 09:48 PM

Did you put enough oil? More than likely worn top end

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 19, 2014 - 05:10 AM

If the clicking is rythmic, it is in the valve train, and is most likely a broken shim bucket.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.