03 WR vs '12 WR450...

25 replies to this topic
  • Navaho6

Posted June 20, 2014 - 05:47 PM

Get the competition kit (programmable ecu and throttle stop screw) sold together for $100.  drill out the oem muffler restrictor (pea shooter), and get the mapping reset (by dealer) to FMF map.  You can fit a bigger muffler tip on the oem muffler (same one that fits older WR's), and you'll be set.  I can rent my FI tool to you for resetting the CO level to make it run even cooler.  PM me when the deal is done.

• GP1K

Posted June 21, 2014 - 06:33 AM

Really enjoying all the discussion regarding this subject guys... Based on what I'm reading and the fact that I'm not interested in putting a top end or any more money into my 03 at this time- I am definitely going to grab a '12 from my local dealer this next week. I'm doing some research with the search function now- but if anyone can recommend what mods (engine/exhaust wise) that need to be done to open it up like my 03 is. Don't want to touch internals (cams) but remember reading bout a GYTR ecu, throttle stop and taking some plug out of the stock exhaust... What if anything else do I need to get from the yami dealer before I leave? Hoping to work some of it into the deal... Appreciate everyone's thoughts!

You should get your dealer to set the CO level, which requires a different 'tool' than the GYTR tuner. If they can't or won't there is one for rent for forum members.

• Toothmech

Posted June 22, 2014 - 05:06 PM

Sorry- new to the fuel injection stuff... What is the CO level? If this something most dealers should be familiar with? Or am I going to have to walk them thru it to get it right?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GP1K

Posted June 23, 2014 - 08:03 AM

Sorry- new to the fuel injection stuff... What is the CO level? If this something most dealers should be familiar with? Or am I going to have to walk them thru it to get it right?

Depends on the dealer. Now that the bike has been out a couple of years, some dealers have been through it and know the drill. I had to explain it to my dealer the first time, they thought I wanted a different FI map with the GYTR tool.

• grayracer513

Posted June 23, 2014 - 01:10 PM

CO level is simply the idle carbon monoxide readings.  It indicates the relative rich/lean state of the engine's idle base line.  Most of them are a bit lean for emissions reasons.  The GYT-R tuner is not capable of resetting this parameter.

• Toothmech

Posted June 27, 2014 - 07:11 PM

Pulled the trigger today on the '12. Got it for $6,400 otd. Came with a brand new set of bark busters installed and got the comp kit and exhaust tip thrown in on the deal. Just played around w it today behind the house- don't really want to ride it until I get it opened up... It's a dog compared to my tuned 03... Should have the ecu by next week. From there can I ride it safely before putting the FMF tune on it? The dealer "isn't sure" they have the right tuner to adjust the map. Don't really want to spend $280 for a tuner I'm going to use once... Ideas? Also- what's the consensus on setting the CO level? Doing a lot of reading and seems like many people don't get much out of it. Looking forward to getting her dialed in!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.