Just brought home my first 450. Quick questions.

12 replies to this topic
  • Lyrikz74

Posted June 18, 2014 - 08:04 AM

Just purchased a new 2012 450f.  They had one left on the dealership floor and couldnt pass it up.  I currently have a 2001 yz250 that i love but i just wanted something new. 

I did have a few questions.  I was trying to find some kind of starting procedure. I read online that you cant just kick it over and expect it to fire since it is fuel injection.  Is there really tricks to starting this one? 

Fresh off the lot, what would be the best aftermarket mod to start with on this bike? I ride mainly sand. 

Glad to be here, looks like a huge site.

Heres a picture when i brought it home.

imagejpg1_zpsa6616000.jpg

• BGoyins

Posted June 18, 2014 - 08:49 AM

My 2011 was harder to start when brand new. Part of that is technique. Do not open the throttle at all during cranking. Slowly push the kick starter through until you find the spot of most resistance. Stop there, bring the lever all they way back up and give a firm full kick. 2 or 3 times to get the fuel pressure up and cap charged. Repeat this till it starts. You'll figure out the sweet spot once you ride it a bit. Also, once broke in get the idle set right. I do 2000 RPM. Paddle looks cool, would love to try dunes.

• suzuki son of a bitch

Posted June 18, 2014 - 08:53 AM

Getting the suspension should be the first mod you should do. Then pipe and re map.

• swaldrop

Posted June 18, 2014 - 09:14 AM

Getting the suspension should be the first mod you should do. Then pipe and re map.

The stock suspension on these bikes is as good as it gets. If the first thing you do is try to fix something that is not broken, you're doing it wrong. Ride the bike and enjoy it. If you feel it needs something after a bit of time on it, then proceed. With the exception of maybe spring rates, I highly doubt suspension mods will ever be required.

• BGoyins

Posted June 19, 2014 - 06:34 AM

I forgot something else. Put the bike in neutral. Even with the clutch pulled in while in gear, it's hard to start in gear.

• zeuszuki

Posted June 19, 2014 - 07:16 AM

My 2011 was harder to start when brand new. Part of that is technique. Do not open the throttle at all during cranking. Slowly push the kick starter through until you find the spot of most resistance. Stop there, bring the lever all they way back up and give a firm full kick. 2 or 3 times to get the fuel pressure up and cap charged. Repeat this till it starts. You'll figure out the sweet spot once you ride it a bit. Also, once broke in get the idle set right. I do 2000 RPM. Paddle looks cool, would love to try dunes.

Before you start the above, pull out the start knob on the throttle body or you'll be kicking all day.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • swaldrop

Posted June 19, 2014 - 07:28 AM

Before you start the above, pull out the start knob on the throttle body or you'll be kicking all day.

I have never pulled out the 'start' knob on my FI YZ's. Not once.

• Ryan Parker

Posted June 19, 2014 - 12:04 PM

Same picked up a brand new 2012 yz450f a month or two ago.  Never used the intake knob.  Never tried to find the sweet spot to kick it.  Just kicked it quick and easy and she started 1 or 2.

• swaldrop

Posted June 19, 2014 - 12:16 PM

Same picked up a brand new 2012 yz450f a month or two ago.  Never used the intake knob.  Never tried to find the sweet spot to kick it.  Just kicked it quick and easy and she started 1 or 2.

These bikes are largely fool proof. Keep the oil and air filter clean and just ride it. Once you get it broken in and have a good idea of what the bike DOES, then start worrying about what it DOESN'T. Then, and only then should you attempt to modify the bike.

• zeuszuki

Posted June 19, 2014 - 06:29 PM

Interesting, obviously the Euro bikes are quite different. I see guys over here kicking furiously with no result, pull the knob out and away she goes.

• leo 450yfz

Posted June 19, 2014 - 06:42 PM

Very new here. I just picked up my bike a little bit ago, I'm with what everyone here said on the starting procedure. Out of the few things that I did, the most difference was from the injectioneering throttle body mod. I am no longer riding the hell out of the clutch. And it does make a day and night difference in the hit off the bottom, makes it smoother and takes away all the flameouts. It made the power a lot more manageable, and didn't really take any of it away, I'm waaaaay more confident coming out of the corners with it as well. Worth every penny.

• Mtrain730

Posted June 19, 2014 - 06:45 PM

I just kick firm I don't try and kick it fast just a firm kick all the way threw the stroke never takes more than 3 kicks even cold and I never use the cold start. But I also have not gone riding when it was 30 degrees lol. You really won't want to change much especially if its your first 450 it rips and is dependable. I love my fly wheel weight one of the few mods I have done but I do mx and trail ride so you might not need one for your terrain.

• grayracer513

Posted June 20, 2014 - 06:40 AM

The cold start knob on the EFI bikes is simply an air bleed that has the same effect as opening the throttle very slightly, or raising the idle speed.  Cold enrichment, when required, is provided by the system owing to input from the coolant temp sensor.  If you're having difficulty getting the bike lit, you might try using it as suggested.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.