Overheating 2012 WR450, need help

Chemical Coolant Engine Radiators & Components

65 replies to this topic
  • hawaiidirtrider

Posted July 01, 2014 - 05:27 PM

I am not promoting the Evans.  I've never used it but this the guy said that the Evans ran 7 degrees cooler than anything else he had used before.  He was preparing for Erzberg.

Fast forward to 3;40:

https://www.youtube....giemYy570h46Ghx

Yea I'll believe it when I see it.. That came from my playlist so I've seen that. That's why I said that it's a good list to look at for ideas.. Do your own research. The reality is water and water wetter mix have done the best to cool. I've spent a lot of time looking at this because I have a 525 rfs Beta that I take into tight ugly stuff so I looked at what to do for cooling. Before that I had a cr 250 that I maxed out on a bunch of mods to cool. Evans has a higher boiling point. That's the bottom line. It does not cool better . Evans is a way to go that is simpler if you want to go that way. But it doesn't make your bike run cooler . 

This article sort of explains things easier.

http://www.two2cool....les/coolant.pdf

..off of this site..

http://www.two2cool....egory_s/153.htm

I can't find it now but there's a July 2006 article of Dirtrider called "cool it"  and test comparison for cooling article that pretty much verifies this. They tested all the different options and what worked as the coolant that worked best to cool was water and royal purple water wetter in their tests. I haven't seen another comparison before or since that article and I've been looking as overheating is big in ugly wet technical riding like we have a lot of here.

• hawaiidirtrider

Posted July 01, 2014 - 05:41 PM

I'm not sure who cares what runs hotter and cooler ?

Look in my Thumpertalk garage at the 07 wr450 below is a vid. of a hill climb where no ktm 300 has ever gone. Ask me about the heat. If you can't stand it then get out of the kitchen. I guess. I don't feel any excessive heat.

I care about my bike running hotter but some may not. It's up to them... hill climbs aren't a big deal for overheating ...really how long does it take to go up a hill compared to sustained long periods of time going very slow in technical sections .. what a minute compared to an hour?. I really don't care about pissing contests. I'm just saying what is and evans works good if you don't care about your bike running hotter than water and water wetter. That's ok . I just like calling like it is. For the original post to me it just looks like laying out options to address overheating and boiling. He could run evans it he wants. He could also just put a fan or get bigger radiators or a variety of mixed approaches until his problems are addressed. It's up to him but I like being accurate if I can.

• cracker please

Posted July 02, 2014 - 05:06 AM

Supposedly, with the waterless coolant, you don't get localized hot spots.  Like when you boil a pot of water, those little bubbles form first at the bottom where it's hottest.  I think you still would get the little bubbles, just at a higher temperature.  It would make sense that the temperature gauge would be higher with the waterless, but that's just coolant temperature, it's not really measuring the hottest part of the engine directly.  I never used it, can't say how well it works, but it kind of makes sense to me.

• stevethe

Posted July 02, 2014 - 06:52 AM

I care about my bike running hotter but some may not. It's up to them... hill climbs aren't a big deal for overheating ...really how long does it take to go up a hill compared to sustained long periods of time going very slow in technical sections .. what a minute compared to an hour?. I really don't care about pissing contests. I'm just saying what is and evans works good if you don't care about your bike running hotter than water and water wetter. That's ok . I just like calling like it is. For the original post to me it just looks like laying out options to address overheating and boiling. He could run evans it he wants. He could also just put a fan or get bigger radiators or a variety of mixed approaches until his problems are addressed. It's up to him but I like being accurate if I can.

Don't let the videos trick you those hills are very steep and suck immense amounts of HP and are a big deal for puking anti-freeze. I have experienced it first hand on my old CR500. My bikes would puke a 50/50 mixture of anti-freeze as easily on the long hill climbs as it does on very tight one mile per hour stuff. Every now and then the super nasty stuff will bubble the straight anti-freeze into the puke bucket and then back to the radiator. I don't think the larger radiator would be enough it might take a fan.

The Erzberg post is a good one. There is also a u tube with Jay Leno talking about Evans not rotting his high dollar cars out. Evans looks like a good product but you have to be careful it's not suppose to have too much water mixed in with it. I think they said 4 percent max.

• hawaiidirtrider

Posted July 02, 2014 - 11:25 AM

Again this is the simplest way to refer to this.

http://www.two2cool....les/coolant.pdf

• mebgardner

Posted July 04, 2014 - 12:26 PM

Russ:

Did you solve it, for you?

I've noticed you've bowed out of the conversation, and I wonder if you've found some nugget that has worked for you?

• hawaiidirtrider

Posted July 04, 2014 - 01:34 PM

Russ:

I've noticed you've bowed out of the conversation, and I wonder if you've found some nugget that has worked for you?

He ought to .. pretty much most everything available has been laid out and it's just up to him to pick one at a time or a bunch to try.

This is another one to add..

http://www.bikebandi...er-kit?m=154391

• zwebx

Posted July 04, 2014 - 05:06 PM

Did you check ebay?

.radiators.and hose..

http://www.ebay.com/...3e11264&vxp=mtr

Did you put searches on Youtube?

..here's just one..

personally i think that fan would not move enough, Some of the smaller 12v fans move more cfm (therefor increasing the radiators cooling efficiency)
If i was to do it and had some time i would probably look for a electric plane engine and create a little shroud for it so it can suck in from more surface area..

I think thats the best solution...
Imo oil temps should also be monitored with a external gauge if doing some heavy clutch slipping but if its just low rpm riding no problem imo

• hawaiidirtrider

Posted July 04, 2014 - 11:29 PM

personally i think that fan would not move enough, Some of the smaller 12v fans move more cfm (therefor increasing the radiators cooling efficiency)
If i was to do it and had some time i would probably look for a electric plane engine and create a little shroud for it so it can suck in from more surface area..

I think thats the best solution...
Imo oil temps should also be monitored with a external gauge if doing some heavy clutch slipping but if its just low rpm riding no problem imo

Why would you think that fan wouldn't move enough?

Edited by hawaiidirtrider, July 04, 2014 - 11:48 PM.

• beezer

Posted July 05, 2014 - 05:07 AM

In the 450 I think it's kind of a non issue.  The only time I've had a problem with overheating was when I rode with people who had trouble staying upright or making obstacles.

I use Engine Ice because it's non toxic and if any gets spilled in the garage no pets get posioned.  Other than that I don't think it matters what you use.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dcr25060

Posted January 13, 2015 - 06:04 AM

I've been following the various threads of solving the WR's overheating problem and was wondering if anybody has tried the Boyesen Supercooler water pump?  I used the search function and didn't see it mentioned anywhere.

http://www.boyesen.c...er-kits-40.html

Thoughts?

• hawaiidirtrider

Posted January 13, 2015 - 12:18 PM

I've been following the various threads of solving the WR's overheating problem and was wondering if anybody has tried the Boyesen Supercooler water pump?  I used the search function and didn't see it mentioned anywhere.

Thoughts?

I had it on my cr 250 and it helped and I also had a bunch of other cooling mods.. inline coolers, high pres. cap, longer radiator hose for more coolant volume, a phathead cool head etc..  There are other companies that also make bigger impelars and larger volume waterpumps too... try checking around to see what else is available. I know ktm, Beta and gasgas have companies that make these too. I'll probably get one just for insurance for my bike later...but only for insurance sake. I think I'd go the route of bigger radiators first.. for the wr I figure those chinese ebay radiators by winners or whatever are a better bang for your buck.. especially at the prices that are that low these days.  The boyesen coolers are well made and the volume of flow is increased greatly though. If I'd do it again I'd go radiators or fan first.. or both the same time.

$_1.JPG

Edited by hawaiidirtrider, January 13, 2015 - 12:28 PM.

• cwr12

Posted January 14, 2015 - 04:07 PM

I expierenced this too on the tight, technical mountain single track. So I switched to a local radiator shop brand when getting them straightened by a place named Mylers. It's red and seems to work pretty well. The bike boils over about half as much as used to. I'm not really worried about it, but if I get it super hot I will probably just change the engine oil and ride on.

• Navaho6

Posted January 14, 2015 - 04:35 PM

Thoughts?

Yes, but not on a WR.  I put one on my YZ450 which I use for single track.   YZ's will overheat rather quickly in slow riding and mine did when it was stock.  However, since installing the Supercooler, it has yet to overheat and I've given it plenty of opportunity to.  Money well spent.

• Rusty99

Posted March 06, 2015 - 11:28 PM

Russ:

Hey guys,

Wow!! What a great thread with tons of good advice and well written discussion! I got a bit sidetracked from cooling my bike down lately with winter here in Alberta. I've definitely migrated to the "cool the engine" end of the discussion as opposed to "stop it from boiling over" end.

I think depending on money I will start with a Boysen impeller kit, then bigger radiators. Ideally a fan kit would be my first upgrade but I've just had no luck with getting it setup correctly. Tonight I emailed Trailtech in response to another thread seeing if they will consider making a fan kit for the WR.

Again as I mentioned earlier I'm a newbie weekend rider living where the terrain is sloppy and technical.  Getting the bike to run cool internally is definitely my number one priority. I now have the comp ECU installed and hope a new map might also make a difference, perhaps I'm running to lean as someone mentioned in this thread.

Keep the input coming and lets keep everyone updated on what is working to keep these WR's running cool.

Cheers

Russ

• rah7777777

Posted March 07, 2015 - 12:09 AM

http://www.thumperta...ing-fan-options

I have the following parts to install soon on my 06:

- Boyesen super cooler pump
- 4" SPAL waterproof pull fan
- thermostatic switch for fan/relay
- 1.6 bar radiator cap
- new hose set
- regular coolant 50/50 mix

If I still have issues, I'll try an aftermarket coolant, but I suspect I'll have no more overheating issues on the tight technical uphills.
(Have temp reading on Trail Tech)

• iggs

Posted March 07, 2015 - 08:00 AM

Here's my 2p's worth - you guys are worrying too much

For the past year I've been running a 2014 Gas Gas 450 in Dubai's dunes. James West has had a fleet of the same bikes for his tours. They all use the WR450 engine

These bikes get ragged in ridiculously soft sand and very high air temps. They boil on a regular basis. All use a good coolant. Don't know the brand just that its green.

My bike has 400hrs on it and is running sweet. Some of the hire bikes have broken through the 1000hrs mark

As long as you keep your fluids topped up and be diligent with oil changes the WR engines are proven to be bullet proof even if boiled regularly.

I've now got a new 2015 WR450F. The catch tank makes keeping the system topped up nice and easy. I'm averaging 200km a day in the dunes at the weekends at the moment. Bike is about to be converted into a rally bike for the Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge along with 4 others. They will then run for 1300km over 5 days in some of the hottest and biggest dunes on the planet

They will be fine but will probably boil every now and then

• stevethe

Posted March 07, 2015 - 08:31 AM

I do some extreme hill climbs and some gnarly trails where there is no air flow or very little 50/50 does not work without a fan in extreme use. I don't use a fan.

I now use straight Dex Cool and yea yea I know the world will end if you use it. I learned my lesson in my CR500 days when I argued that straight anti freeze runs too hot and I ended up overheating with 50/50. So Iv'e been running straight Dex cool ever since 07 in the dirt WR and 08 in the Supermoto.

Bottom line if you get to extreme use it works fine. The only real trouble you will have is when you boil out your fluid and keep riding hard you can toast your top end.

• rah7777777

Posted March 07, 2015 - 09:47 PM

I got the boyesen pump for $110, couldn't pass that deal up. Fan for $40. So with hoses and switches I'm under $200. I feel that's good piece of mind and shouldn't have to worry about overheating again :-)

• dcr25060

Posted March 07, 2015 - 10:42 PM

Just finished new radiators and the fan today. Dropped temp from 255' to 235' in about 3 minutes during hot idle test. I'll report back after my first trail ride with it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.