Light install guidance and introduction.

8 replies to this topic
  • scoob_450

Posted June 15, 2014 - 08:08 PM

Hi all!

I'm from Southern CA and grew up riding the desert and tracks. I have a 2012 YZ 450 and I love it to death. I miss out on all the night rides because unfortunately I do not have a light. 

I've been looking into a simple LED light bar install on the handlebars. Not trying to spend a light of money so I will be buying a light bar off of ebay. Scary I know. I was surprised when a buddy of mine bought one on ebay for his razor and it worked pretty damn well. 

The lights LED power is 72W and it's operating voltage is 10-30V DC. Here's where I need help. I need to figure out if there's enough power available from the bikes stator, to power the light. Not sure where to find that info. I've also been considering running off of a battery system. I'm not sure what type of battery would supply the power needed for the light.

Hopefully somebody has done this before and can offer some help. Thanks for reading!

Edited by scoob_450, June 15, 2014 - 08:14 PM.

• RickyStator

Posted June 16, 2014 - 11:23 AM

A FI YZ is good for about 35 watts and that is as good as it gets. The stator can not be modified for more power. Hope that helps.

• drtrcr400

Posted June 16, 2014 - 11:51 AM

I had the Baja Designs Squadron on my 2012. They are rated at 42 watts and the bike powered it without a problem, I just made sure the switch was off when starting the bike. The light was connected to the bike using the harness they sell and it's well worth the cheap price, makes everything plug and play. The light is incredibly bright and easily has double the output of my 35 watt HID helmet light. I know you want to do it cheap but if you really get serious about night riding you'll likely want to upgrade from anything less which will just cost more in the end. All that being said, no I do not work for B.D. I'm just a happy customer who loves doubling potential riding time!
Something to note with higher end leds and drivers is that because they are more efficient you could potentially get more light from the same amount of power used(watts). Point being your buddies 72 watt Chinese light may not be as bright as my Squadron.
I should also point out that B.D. also sells a lesser expensive SII led headlight. Might fit your needs while saving a few bucks.

Edited by drtrcr400, June 16, 2014 - 12:08 PM.

• RickyStator

Posted June 16, 2014 - 12:58 PM

My bet is the squadron out performs the 72 watts also.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 16, 2014 - 04:14 PM

The EFI models are equipped wit much more powerful stators than the non-EFI YZ's were simply because they need a lot of juice at cranking speeds so as to power the complex system, and the pump in particular.  Once running, they have a lot of surplus energy.  The factory rates the unit at over 100w, but I don't know how much is actually left over at idle.  Somehow, I was under the impression that it was a good deal more than 35w.

The system is also already built with a rectifier/regulator, and all of the on board components run on DC.

• scoob_450

Posted June 16, 2014 - 05:59 PM

Thanks for all the replies everybody! I've been doing a lot of research and it all comes back to Baja Designs. I think I'm gonna get the squadron and try to run it off of the stock stator. It seems like as long as I have a switch to keep the light off while starting, I should be ok.

• scoob_450

Posted June 16, 2014 - 06:01 PM

I'm having trouble finding the wiring harness on their website.. can anybody provide some direction or a link to the harness that will work?

• drtrcr400

Posted June 16, 2014 - 07:13 PM

I swear I've done this before...Lol

• scoob_450

Posted June 17, 2014 - 03:30 PM

I swear I've done this before...Lol

Haha yeah I found a few other threads just now where people were getting lost as well. Thanks for the link I appreciate it! Not a bad price on that either

Edited by scoob_450, June 17, 2014 - 03:30 PM.

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.