Extending the rear brake. 13' yz450f

8 replies to this topic
  • Piznapple

Posted June 15, 2014 - 05:01 PM

Hey guys recently I've just gotten into riding. Now my over all goal is to be descent on a mx. But I keep running into the problem of hitting my rear brake after airing things out. So it leads me to believe that I need to extend my rear brake from my foot peg. Or is it that I don't rev the motor before landing to keep the wheel spinning? I'm a noob when it comes to riding on the mx track. Could use any and all tips to help me change things up on the track to be the big guy flying past people on the track.

• Mike in OK

Posted June 15, 2014 - 05:06 PM

Braking in the air brings your nose down, revving in the air brings it up. That's the only way to change the attitude of your bike while you're in flight.

• grayracer513

Posted June 15, 2014 - 06:08 PM

If you keep hitting the break accidentally, either: learn to rotate your toe out away from the pedal so you can roll your foot on the peg without hitting it, same as you do for the shifter, or, adjust the pedal drop with the link between the pedal and master cylinder.

Or both.  Always be careful in the first few minutes after an adjustment like that, too.

• Piznapple

Posted June 15, 2014 - 06:14 PM

Ya mike, everything I'm landing I'm wanting to go over the handlebars. So I think I'm on the brake in the air pitching me forward the the bike giving me that feeling of wanting to go over. But I think I'll do what GREYRACER said, and adjust the lever and angle my feet out more.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gscx

Posted June 15, 2014 - 06:41 PM

You should be riding on your toes. On hard landings move closer to the arches of your feet, but not on them. Personally i wouldn't point your toe out. That's just asking to have your foot ripped off the peg and hurting your knee when you hit a deep rut, because you might develop a habit of keeping them pointed out.

• Piznapple

Posted June 15, 2014 - 08:07 PM

Ahhhh....... see I always ride on my arches!!! That's something that I'll be doing from now on.(riding on my toes) see you learn something new everyday!! Thank you.

• Mtrain730

Posted June 16, 2014 - 04:54 PM

I have the same bike and just lowering the brake a little like gray racer said helped a lot for accidental braking.

• Ryan Parker

Posted June 17, 2014 - 07:40 AM

You need to gas it right before you hit the ground or the engine compression will seem like you are braking.  Just give it gas as you land.

• Piznapple

Posted June 17, 2014 - 07:43 AM

See that's what I was thinking Ryan! But regardless I need to start righting on the balls of my feet. And I might adjust the lever after it get my tech 7's and see how everything measures up. Thank you everyone!!!!

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.