Speedo stopped working - solution found

1 reply to this topic
  • GuyGraham

Posted June 15, 2014 - 10:14 AM

Twice now, my speedo on my 2008 450 has stopped working, it that it comes on but doesn't display a speed value when moving

I'm always careful to align the tangs when I change the wheel so as not to damage them

I'm also a bit anal about keeping things well greased

1st time was after a wheel change - took it apart cleaned the plastic ring/magnet that the wheel drives, reassemble and it work

I was mystified as I hadn't really done anything

Its just happened again, after a wheel change

Again, took the plastic ring out and cleaned it and re-assembled and it works

The cause is grease on the OD of the magnet preventing it from generating the voltage seen by the clocks

It needs a bit of grease on the ID, as the ID sits on a boss in the speedo drive housing and hence the two would rub, but the OD needs to be grease free so as not to block the magnetic field and hence the voltage generated when it is turned by the wheel

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ahern01

Posted June 15, 2014 - 09:43 PM

It's nice to see you found, and posted, a solution to your problem. Now I'll know a cheaper place to start if mine ever stops working. Thanks for posting!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.