wont start. think its a bad coil.

8 replies to this topic
  • psmith994

Posted June 15, 2014 - 08:29 AM

2001 wr 426. ran fine a couple of months ago. been piecing this thing together for almost a year now. now no spark. none. I think its the coil (do these things go bad?) so ive been looking for one. found a coil for a yz426. will that work or do I have to do a bunch of stuff to it?

• mebgardner

Posted June 15, 2014 - 09:56 AM

2001 wr 426. ran fine a couple of months ago. been piecing this thing together for almost a year now. now no spark. none. I think its the coil (do these things go bad?) so ive been looking for one. found a coil for a yz426. will that work or do I have to do a bunch of stuff to it?

Do you have the battery on trickle charge? Why is the the coil, and not the battery, suspect? (I'm not too familiar w/ the older cycles. Lemme guess: Kick start only, no battery huh...).

Anyway, check the grounding terminals. They could have developed corrosion over the storage time.

• psmith994

Posted June 15, 2014 - 10:13 AM

Yeah.... no battery. Checked grounds already. Gunna check again just to be sure.

• mebgardner

Posted June 15, 2014 - 10:25 AM

Electrical parts don't usually "go bad" just sitting around. Something else has changed.

Check your switch gear with an ohm-meter. toggle the switches and look for a change in meter reading (0 ohms = short, infinity = open) as you toggle the switches.

Check the connectors, push 'n pull them (carefully, they're old!). Alternatively, disconnect them and eyeball the interior of the connector, looking for dirt / rust / pitting, and take a metal file to the contacts.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • psmith994

Posted June 15, 2014 - 03:21 PM

Ok. I'll let you know

• psmith994

Posted June 20, 2014 - 11:30 AM

so....I took the stator cover off and found oil on that side. is there supposed to be oil there or is something very very wrong? time to go research :/

• flyandride

Posted June 20, 2014 - 08:37 PM

so....I took the stator cover off and found oil on that side. is there supposed to be oil there or is something very very wrong? time to go research :/

There will be oil in there, that's normal. 

• stevethe

Posted June 21, 2014 - 06:03 AM

You might have to check at night sometimes it's hard to see. If your pilot jet is plugged from sitting it wont start.

• psmith994

Posted June 21, 2014 - 08:27 AM

Nope no spark. Grabbed the coil wire. Nothing. However, the I checked all the ohm readings and everything on the stator, coil and tps checks out fine. Which leads me to the cdi. (insert sad face) is there a way to test these things before I drop 400 bucks on a new one? And is this a common problem?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.