main fuse blowing

5 replies to this topic
  • abswa

Posted June 14, 2014 - 06:04 PM

Hi all,

I just purchased a 2003 wr450f and it ran fine for a few days. Now however the 10A main fuse behind the battery blows.

The first time it happened while riding for a while, so I changed the fuse to see what happens. The second time the fuse blew after about 30ft of riding and now the fuse blows as soon as I start up the bike, let it idle for a sec and then the fuse goes when I shift into gear.

I visually inspected all the wiring already with no obvious shorts. I replaced the battery as the old one was pretty old but still I cant find any obvious signs why it blows.

I'd appreciate any help and suggestions to that matter.

Thank you

Andreas

• GuyGraham

Posted June 15, 2014 - 12:45 AM

You prob have a +ve wire touching the frame, where the insulation has been worn/rubbed/damaged

its a ball aching task trying to find faults like this, but you just gotta go over it from front to back and find it

• MANIAC998

Posted June 15, 2014 - 04:10 AM

You prob have a +ve wire touching the frame, where the insulation has been worn/rubbed/damaged

its a ball aching task trying to find faults like this, but you just gotta go over it from front to back and find it

GuyGraham is correct. You've probably got a wire shorting out somewhere. Let us know what you find.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flyandride

Posted June 15, 2014 - 05:50 AM

Will the fuse blow with the power switch on but the engine not running?  You say the fuse blows when you put it in gear.  WRs have a neutral switch, you may want to find it, disconnect it and see if that changes anything.  Did you pull the tank and inspect every inch of the harness?  

I've even had to peel the tape off a harness to find wires inside of it that were chaffed and shorting.  

• KennyMc

Posted June 15, 2014 - 07:12 AM

Can't add much more other than to relay my personal experience. Put a dual sport kit on my bike back in '09. The front turn signals get replaced kinda often. Taking the front headlight on/off kept pulling on some wires and it finally pulled the wire jacket from one of the wires and it was resting up against the headlight. Funny thing is it didn't blow all the time cause when it wasn't resting there it was fine. When I would start riding and it would bounce around and then hit the headlight it would blow.

As stated, chasing electrical sucks. There is a "resettable" fuse you can get that trips but doesn't blow. Helps when chasing down electrical so you don't keep going through fuses or keep it in the bike. It resets when it cools down.

• mebgardner

Posted June 15, 2014 - 10:19 AM

Remove the battery.

Put an ohm-meter across the battery terminals.

Disconnect the headlight, if present.  Turn off grip heaters and other high load devices.

Turn on all switches that allow the cycle to run normally.

Wiggle harness / wires until you find an area that causes the meter needle to "jump around".  Look closer in that area....

If you never see that then reconnect the headlight and try some more.

Switches and other contact points are the likeliest candidate area (they're considered "more fragile" than wiring).

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.