jet size?

2 replies to this topic
  • KBF

Posted January 22, 2004 - 07:25 AM

I'm new here but I've been reading and enjoying these posts for about two months. I would like a recomendation on what jet size (main and pilot) to install on my newly acquired 94 XR650L. I have done the common mods for these bikes that I found out about on this forum. I've removed the smog pump and airbox snorkel and have drilled the vaccum slide holes to 5/32" and shimmed the stock needle .035". The exhaust is stock with the baffle removed. I may install an aftermarket exhaust in the future to reduce weight and add power. For now the air filter is stock because it was new when I bought the bike a month ago. When it's time for a replacment it'll be a uni-filter. I'm at less than 500ft above sea level and 75% of my riding will be on pavement.

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • J_T

Posted January 22, 2004 - 12:44 PM

I don't have an xr650l so I don't know the stock jetting sizes but I have been compiling data on various bikes but have only gotten two submissions for xr650L;

This is what others have reported that worked.

first is a 2002 at 400 ft. (temp ~80F) MJ=162 PJ=55 needle=stock airfilter=UNI exhaust=White Bros E-Series

second is a 1998 at 3500ft. (temp ~75F) MJ=162 PJ=55 needle=Dynojet at 3rd position airfilter=K&N Stock exhaust with the following mods: (Removed the snorkel in the air box. Shimmed the stock needle with small washer. Drilled out the holes in the carb slide)

I wish I had more to help on this but turnout on my survey has been weak. (but I'm lacking time as well so I just work on it when I can)

Before you go by these, let's see what input others can pass on.

• seebee

Posted January 22, 2004 - 01:42 PM

Before I got the pumper I was running a 165mj 55pj with the stock needle shimmed .035 and the dynojet spring with the slide drilled and the air/fuel screw 1/34 turns out with snorkel & smog removed, full yoshi RS3 without the TEC insert at sea level. I would think the 162mj would be close to spot-on for the baffle removed. Would anyone recommend cutting the stock spring down or would the tension not make a difference? Also not exactly sure how it would react with a paper filter.

Related Content

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.