MAGNETIC DRAIN PLUG-WHERE and HOW MUCH?

12 replies to this topic
  • JDM

Posted January 18, 2002 - 06:15 AM

Hey guys, I just bought a new 02 426 and am new to the 4-stroke game.
I have read lots of posts where guys list having a magnetic drain plug. Do they work? Do you really need one? Who makes them and how much $$$
Thanks, I love this site!

• YZ400Court

Posted January 18, 2002 - 07:23 AM

Terrycable sells one. Here is the description.
DP107-1 YAM. YZ/WR400-426 HONDA XR400-600 16.95
Website, look in racing products page 4.
http://www.terrycable.com/
Posted Image

[ January 18, 2002: Message edited by: YZ400Court ]

• keith

Posted January 18, 2002 - 07:48 AM

if you go to www.whitebros.com you can download their catalog, lots of goodies for your bike. moose, gytr,and works connection also make them!

• Wyatt

Posted January 18, 2002 - 07:48 AM

You can get one through your yamaha dealer also. It is a GYTR part. I'm not sure the part number, check the Yamaha web site. Also cost about $16.

I have one. I don't know if you "need' one, but mine catches small pieces of debris. Can't hurt anything to have one. I would rather have the debris stuck to my magnetic plug than circulating through my motor.

• JT1

Posted January 18, 2002 - 08:09 AM

JDM,

I just bought an 02' 426 also. I was advised to put in the magnetic plug for the first few oil changes (but will probably just leave it in). I paid $12 at Racer's Pit Stop (Shingle Springs, CA). Wow, a part that was actually cheaper in CA........

• JDM

Posted January 18, 2002 - 08:15 AM

You guys are great! Thanks for the help!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzernie

Posted January 18, 2002 - 08:28 AM

I use the http://www.ziptyracing.com plug. It is about $15.00 of well spent cash. The thing I like about the magnetic plugs is that they will catch pieces small enough to make it through the oil filter. One of the cheapest investments you can make for you bike.

Ernie

• skthom2320

Posted January 18, 2002 - 09:16 AM

I went to Radio Shack and bought two "Rare Earth" magnets (about $2). They are small enough to JB weld to the drain plug.

Someone else on the list suggested this and I have been using since September. No problem.

Steve T

• FOX426

Posted January 18, 2002 - 10:11 PM

Just hope that Rare Earth magnet does not fall off inside your engine, "OUCH". :) :D :D

• Jason_in_KC

Posted January 18, 2002 - 11:07 AM

I use the Moose magnetic..fits fine and has a nice big 14mm head on it! 12$ at my local dealer counter.

• Scarylong

Posted January 18, 2002 - 11:36 AM

I'm thinking about wraping my bike in coper wire and attaching a 12 volt battery to it. Any thoughts? Or should I just throw my money around like you guys? :)

• YZ400Court

Posted January 18, 2002 - 01:04 PM

Originally posted by Scarylong:
I'm thinking about wraping my bike in coper wire and attaching a 12 volt battery to it. Any thoughts? Or should I just throw my money around like you guys? :D

It helps, but not as much as you may think. I tried solid copper wire first, holds it shape well, but stranded held up much better in the rocks. I opted for a 6 volt jeep battery, mucho amp delivery, cool glow at night. It was a little heavy at first (38lbs), so I bought all titanium fasteners to make up for it. Mounting the battery was tough. I finally used the Scotts billit aluminum mount. I didn't like it on the bars (acid splash caused me to go through a whole case of tear offs :) ), so I removed my airbox and put it there. Now remember, when you run the snorkel tube from the carb up to your backpack (where the air filter is now) do NOT use any stainless braided tube. If it contacts the wire wrap, all you hair will stand up for days :D (yeah days). As for the Scotts billit mount, try different offsets. The "TY signature" offset is good for desert, but if your gonna go up against "RC" in a supercross, you may want the 6.875mm offset (it seems to fly better over the 87 ft triples). I can't wait till Pro Circuit comes out with their new Titanium wire kit. Talk about bucks, but well worth it. Titanium is much better around salt water, no corrosion, not to mention it's great aerodynamic properties. You don't have to wax it near as much as copper, and let me tell you waking every little starnd gets tiring. In the mean time, I think I'll just gold plate my whole bike (you never know when California will fall into the ocean giving Phoenix a great beach, I can smell the salt air now :D ).
I'll try and post pictures later, as soon as I figure out how to get this disposable camera to fit into my "A" drive.

• RichB

Posted January 18, 2002 - 01:28 PM

Zipty or Terrycable same=same. I hear these are stronger than the moose or GYTR versions. Anyway, after looking at that picture how many people still think the $15 isn't worth it?

Posted Image

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.