What side (left or right) do I mount a radiator fan?

6 replies to this topic
  • Rusty99

Posted June 12, 2014 - 08:35 PM

Hi guys,

I'm mounting one computer fan to my 2012 WR 450. Which radiator, left or right side should I mount it? I suspect that a particular side might be effective? My bike overheats constantly so hopefully this helps.

Also is there a thread that shows someone who's done a fan with a on/off switch? I would also like to install a temperature gauge if that is possible.

• Speedfreak87

Posted June 13, 2014 - 05:39 AM

On my 2006 WR450 I had to install a 120mm fan on the right side because on the left there is just no space to install it properly.

I dont know if the 2012 model has the same "problem" here..........

• stevethe

Posted June 13, 2014 - 07:02 AM

Hum I wonder what they do to the WR450's down under that come street legal. The bikes get hot sitting in traffic and no fan.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted June 13, 2014 - 07:39 AM

Proper jetting/mapping and intake/exhaust mods usually prevent all over heating, if you use non-water coolant and a 1.6 bar cap.

If you do rides with lots of clutch slipping, then you will need a fan and possibly even larger radiators.

If the motor and tuning is stock, a fan is  required, but does not solve the problems...of running lean/ hot, just prevents overheating.

• AaronS

Posted June 14, 2014 - 11:57 AM

I installed the fan on my 2012 on the right side radiator and just use an on off switch for now. Its attached to the Yamaha branded radiator guards. I did have to grind some of the side plastic away so the fan wouldn't hit anything. The fan I used was also not a computer fan. I believe it was a spal brand fan.

• Tro1086

Posted June 14, 2014 - 12:10 PM

A computer fan, that should last a while on a dirtbike hahaha!

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 14, 2014 - 03:45 PM

Yeah, a computer fan will work for a month or two, if you are lucky.

You need a motor with bearings, not bushings, and one that has a motor that floats in the frame.

...hence, all the kits.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.