Levers

12 replies to this topic
  • bobpara

Posted June 11, 2014 - 05:31 AM

I have an '06 WR450. I just broke the stock front brake lever and got raked $45 for a new one

The stock ones stick out a bit too far (clutch and brake)

I dont need the extra leverage either

I was looking for a set of aftermarket that were shorter and less likely to brake

And no, I dont want bark busters

Personal preference, I saw a friend destroy his wrist when his arm went through one after an endo

• GP1K

Posted June 11, 2014 - 07:48 AM

Zeta makes shorty lever that are machined, (not cast like stockers) break-away style, adjustable, and about $80ish a pair.

I strongly disagree about bark busters though. Sure you can cherry pick stories where they've hurt someone, just like you can cherry pick stories where not wearing a seat belt saved someone. But there's no doubt the benefits of bark busters far outweigh the off chance of a freak accident. I know I would have smashed both my hands many times over without them. That does depend on where you ride though... smashing into trees isn't an issue on a track or in teh desert. But for tight woods it absolutely is. So YMMV.

• Arctic Pride

Posted June 11, 2014 - 08:00 AM

should be able to find the chinese folding ones for your WR, not sure about shorty though, around 40 shipped

recently did a quick review

• foggy3061

Posted June 11, 2014 - 10:47 AM

Zeta makes shorty lever that are machined, (not cast like stockers) break-away style, adjustable, and about $80ish a pair.

I've been running these Zeta levers for some time too. Very good product, very well made. The clutch lever can be bought in 3 or 4 finger but the front brake is the standard short size.

Edit:

I'm not sure if Zeta make a clutch lever for the wr clutch perch (yz lever won't fit in the wr clutch lever perch). I have a yz clutch perch as I don't use the clutch switch, so have a Zeta yz clutch lever mounted up that way.

Edited by foggy3061, June 11, 2014 - 01:30 PM.

• Alstar450

Posted June 11, 2014 - 11:30 AM

The ASV levers are all available in Shorty version. The part # will have an S on the end. I've talked to them and they make them to order for our bikes. I have a set of Cycle Gear snap back levers that are a tad shorter than the stock ones and work very well. They're on sale right now for $30 each.

And I agree with GP1k on Bark Busters. Sure there are stories of such, personally I run mine dropped down a bit to allow my hand to slide over them instead of down in them when I crash. But I too think the benefits far outweigh the risks. I run the Cycra Pro Pack

Edited by Alstar450, June 11, 2014 - 11:33 AM.

• GP1K

Posted June 11, 2014 - 01:35 PM

The biggest problem I see with bark busters is how their mounted... especially if you have oversize (ProTaper, Renthal FatBars, etc) bars. Hving them clamp on the bars themselves sucks... and sucks big time on oversize bars, where the clamp is located right where the tapered part of the bar is, so it NEVER gets a good solid grip. Smack them hard and they spin right round baby right round.

I run Cycra ProBrends with the triple clamp mounts... that shit ain't going anywhere. If you bend those, you've likely cartwheeled your bike hard and have bigger problems at that point. I've seen guys have a minor tip-over, snap a lever and end their day right there. That can't happen with bark busters.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JVP

Posted June 11, 2014 - 02:53 PM

I run Cycra's on all my bikes.  Since then I have never had a level break.  Even though I don't go down too often, I have had the occasional bike fall while on the kick stand with soft dirt.  Either way Cycra's will save you buying levels in the long haul and save your hands from other obstacles.

• KennyMc

Posted June 11, 2014 - 10:52 PM

The biggest problem I see with bark busters is how their mounted... especially if you have oversize (ProTaper, Renthal FatBars, etc) bars. Hving them clamp on the bars themselves sucks... and sucks big time on oversize bars, where the clamp is located right where the tapered part of the bar is, so it NEVER gets a good solid grip. Smack them hard and they spin right round baby right round.

I run Cycra ProBrends with the triple clamp mounts... that shit ain't going anywhere. If you bend those, you've likely cartwheeled your bike hard and have bigger problems at that point. I've seen guys have a minor tip-over, snap a lever and end their day right there. That can't happen with bark busters.

They have the bar mounts that are specifically for the oversized Protapers after '08 which have a offsetting taper to them for a much better fit (from my experience at least).  I bent the crap outta my handguard in a "cartwheel" and the bar mount didn't budge.  The triple clamps mounts are more solid but for me they limited the adjustability a bit too much directionally.  I tried both the side and the top in order to free up the bar space as I have my WR dual sported and was trying to clear up space.  I ended up going back to the bar mounts.  But that is just me....

• fixitandy

Posted June 12, 2014 - 01:38 AM

Yeah totally agreed guys, been running hand guards in many different guises for more years than I care to remember. The Cycra tapered bar clamps are the best available, ROOSTA out!

• cubera

Posted June 12, 2014 - 02:41 AM

Motion Pro replacement levers are excellent. I recommend full wrap handguards in the desert to save hands from getting whacked by cacti, grease bushes, rocky roost, etc. They are must haves that will also prevent levers from curling or breakng most of the time during drops or crashes. Granted they add weight and look stupid but they are essential. I don't like cutting down the throttle grip to accomodate the bar insert for the handguard so I like to use ODI lock on grips. It's nice touch.

• bobpara

Posted June 12, 2014 - 05:02 AM

The ASV's look like a superior design (superior price too)

Since the ASV pivot on the lever goes OVER the perch, the perch cant break....or it would be very hard.

AND it comes with a never break warranty (although you are pron SOL for 2 weeks until you get your new lever)

• cubera

Posted June 15, 2014 - 03:28 AM

The ASV's look like a superior design (superior price too)

Since the ASV pivot on the lever goes OVER the perch, the perch cant break....or it would be very hard.

AND it comes with a never break warranty (although you are pron SOL for 2 weeks until you get your new lever)

ASV's are the original unbreakable levers and they have a great reputation. I saw a bike the fell out of the back of a truck at 75mph on the freeway and the only things not broken on that machine were the ASV levers!

• GuyGraham

Posted June 15, 2014 - 04:04 AM

Got these on mine

There's a direct fit brake lever, but no direct fit clutch lever

For the clutch, options are the universal clutch lever and lever holder, plus renthal's hot start lever assy, or as I have done, adapted a YZF2009-2013 lever to fit

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.