2007 YZ450F gears

3 replies to this topic
  • AlwayzONit

Posted June 10, 2014 - 07:02 PM

I recently lost 5th gear on my bike, 1st-4th are just the same.clutch is adjusted properly, when I shift to 5th it slips in and out and basically I can not use 5th gear now. I would love to know what is causing this and what I need to do to fix. I love the bike, everything about it for a 220lb.. rider it is just enough with no mods. 

• 1987CR250R

Posted June 10, 2014 - 07:41 PM

If its slipping in and out of gear it's because you busted some teeth off of that gear.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 10, 2014 - 09:27 PM

Not teeth, at least not until the problem gets worse.  This is one of the few almost common problems with the YZF.  The locking lugs on the third and fifth pinions (on the main shaft) have worn into a reverse dovetail condition that forces them away from each other under a load.  As soon as they slip out, the load is gone and the fork slams them right back together.  This goes on in a cycle when ever the load is great enough to cause it.  The shift fork will be bent, of course.

This generates a lot of impact energy in the gear box, so it can end up breaking teeth if it goes on long enough.

• AlwayzONit

Posted June 12, 2014 - 09:20 AM

Thank's sound's like I know what to order and hope they offer a upgraded tougher version of the gears, 

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  106 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.