Aftermarket fuel tank questions. 2002 YZ426F

14 replies to this topic
  • schmidt_yz426f

Posted June 10, 2014 - 01:12 PM

2002 Yamaha YZ426F OEM tank is leaking, looking to see if anyone has any experience with the 3 different aftermarket tanks available. Which one has the best fit, IMS, Clarke or Acerbis? Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Yz400f Jeff

Posted June 11, 2014 - 08:02 AM

Well I have the same issue, I found an lightly used acerbis 3. Something gallon on eBay for 90$ that was hmmmm 3 months ago it never showed up, just got my money back from pay pal 5 days ago...so I can't tell you how it fit sorry just needed to vent about it a little.

• Yz400f Jeff

Posted June 11, 2014 - 08:08 AM

But from the reading I have done the aftermarket tanks are all pretty equal.

• suzuki son of a bitch

Posted June 11, 2014 - 08:24 AM

All three are pretty good but if you want the best its ims.

• grayracer513

Posted June 11, 2014 - 09:51 AM

The IMS is likely to be the highest overall quality and fit, but both it and the Acerbis are kind of bulky and obstructive.  The IMS isn't "Big and in the way" while riding, but it pretty well hides the entire top of the engine.  The Clarke tanks made for that year are smaller (~2.5 gallon?), and resemble a bigger WR tank.  Better looking, but the fit can be iffy, and I've seen Clarkes with shroud bolts seized in them, spinning the brass inserts in the plastic, more than on other ones.

• jojo1224

Posted June 11, 2014 - 12:35 PM

I like my Acerbis 3.4 gal tank, I bought it to replace my leaking stock tank. Its a little bulky but its hard to complain when it holds so much fuel. I ordered mine from justgastanks.com and would recommend them to others.

• G-BRO

Posted June 13, 2014 - 09:46 PM

My Clarke tank is OK on my 426. Not stellar but no real compiants. It's a tight fit near the radiator due to my Fluidyne radiators

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jojo1224

Posted June 13, 2014 - 10:37 PM

My Clarke tank is OK on my 426. Not stellar but no real compiants. It's a tight fit near the radiator due to my Fluidyne radiators

My Acerbis 3.4gal is the same way using the oversized eBay rads, its hard to bolt the tank on its so tight. I am looking to either remake or modify another set of eBay rads but move and angle them forward for more clearance and increased air flow. Its not required but I'm sure it would help.

• schmidt_yz426f

Posted June 14, 2014 - 11:54 PM

Thanks for the help and info, after further research I am planing on going with a stock tank. I live in an oven In Phoenix AZ. The clearance, fit and appearance as well as minimal restrictions to the air flow for radiators is important to me. Just sucks want all the new hardware with new tank. Freaking expensive, found one for $ 228 plus tax n shipping just the tank from yamaha... I also own a 1982 YZ490 with a 5 gallon tank it's fit is awesome. The oversized tank looks better than the factory one. All oversize tanks look weird for the 2002 yz426f the way the hang down so far over the top end of the engine.

• Yz400f Jeff

Posted June 15, 2014 - 04:25 AM

Iv heard of people cracking the stock tank one after another before switching to an aftermarket tank. Where is yours cracked on the bottom at the back??

• Yz400f Jeff

Posted June 15, 2014 - 04:29 AM

Yamaha could of resolved this problem but I am not sure..

• schmidt_yz426f

Posted June 16, 2014 - 09:08 AM

In the the bottom on the back, not sure if it was rubbing think it just cracked... now I am looking at aftermarket tanks again...

• jojo1224

Posted June 16, 2014 - 10:28 AM

That's where the Yamaha tanks all crack. Not sure if its been updated but you could check the part number.

• Yz400f Jeff

Posted June 16, 2014 - 10:44 AM

I would go aftermarket unless they fixed this problem, it's an expensive tank to buy just to have it crack in the same place..

• grayracer513

Posted June 16, 2014 - 10:47 AM

For clarity, it is only the tanks on the '98-'02 YZF/WRF models that were prone to this, and I'm not even sure the WR's had the problem.  No trouble from '03 up.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.