headgasket leak after topend rebuild

15 replies to this topic
  • Rivis

Posted June 10, 2014 - 05:05 AM

I have a 2003 that i recently bought for a bargain, did a topend rebuild and have done 1st ride after heat cycles only to discover that i lose coolant and have a leak on the carb side of the cylinder/head joint. did discover that the 2 bolts on the RHS of the bike was never torqued up....... well done mechanic NOT. so the question is do I have to strip out and replace the gasket or loosen up everything and retorque all bolts and hope for the best?

Posted June 10, 2014 - 05:07 AM

A new gasket would get the best results

• Mike in OK

Posted June 10, 2014 - 05:09 AM

I would definitely try re-torquing first.

• grayracer513

Posted June 10, 2014 - 06:25 AM

I would definitely try re-torquing first.

I suppose you could, but it has a less than 10% chance of working.  Maybe less now that it's been run. Plus, in order to be done correctly, the bolts will have to be loosened, and in fact removed and lubed, twice.  The gasket's already been compromised by being run with a leak, then it may be further contaminated by oil and coolant when you loosen the bolts. 

Head torquing procedure:

• Rivis

Posted June 22, 2014 - 03:44 AM

Thanks all. I have just retorqued it first, but find it impossible to start the thing. Do I need to replace the sparkplug as well. There was a lot of water in the chamber..

• grayracer513

Posted June 23, 2014 - 07:28 AM

Oh brother. :facepalm:

• Rivis

Posted July 04, 2014 - 10:28 AM

Ok, pulled top end ... Again ...New gasket is $ 54!
Is there any way a paper gasket could work.?

• grayracer513

Posted July 05, 2014 - 11:13 AM

You're kidding.  Right?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sploon

Posted July 05, 2014 - 02:44 PM

Do it once.... Do it properly......

• Rivis

Posted July 08, 2014 - 02:56 AM

Ok so have installed all top end gaskets, done timing as per manual.......now not starting.

• Rivis

Posted July 08, 2014 - 02:57 AM

Buying a new sparkplug and installing tonight, if still leaking im gonna have heart failure!!!!!

• Rivis

Posted July 11, 2014 - 06:42 AM

Naaah just selling this POS.... Not wirth it anymore

• Will.A.R.

Posted July 11, 2014 - 07:08 AM

Giving up way to easy. Slow down, get a manual and go through step by step. Or if ur close to Mississippi give me a price

• Rivis

Posted July 18, 2014 - 07:18 AM

Right so I calmed down after a beer or two, replaced head gasket got it running and now have a overheating situation? Pipe gets redhot within 1 minute, is this normal? Funny tapping noise like a knock, some says its normal Im like WTF? Starts easy took a short run and have a small oil leak out the headImageUploadedByThumper Talk1405696680.401853.jpg just above the exhaust to the right of side

• grayracer513

Posted July 18, 2014 - 01:19 PM

There is supposed to be an M6x1.0 bolt in that hole with a copper washer on it, for one thing.  Then, on the larger hole just in front of that, there should be a sealed plug.  You can use an 18mm automotive "freeze plug" for the big one.

• Rivis

Posted July 18, 2014 - 11:03 PM

Tx gray! Your a legend! I bought this bike for $1700 have spent about another $1000 and hopefully can start enjoying it now...

Related Content

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.