fork compatability

29 replies to this topic
  • GuyGraham

Posted June 16, 2014 - 08:41 AM

After speaking to technical touch they say rrp is about 250 euro. Buying the gold valves from the US runs close to that after shipping and import duty to the UK. For me, the benefit is a valving tune designed for the wr and enduro riding.

Probably wouldn't be cost effective for the US unless the KYB dealers in the US can supply for around gold valve money?

Factory KYB parts are of very high quality, better than oem parts so should be far better than the poppet base valve.

Unfortunately not here in the UK though. If you can find some YZ sss forks here they are usually in appaling condition and yet still want top money for them!

No need to buy the Gold Valves from the US, you can get them in the UK from PDQ developments, and you get loads of spare shims and a chart so you can go with their valving (which is good) or play with and experiment

• KennyMc

Posted June 16, 2014 - 07:56 PM

I know I sound like a broken record but I would do all the Gold Valves and anything else you wanna do but do it with a modern day fork from a YZ or now, finally, the WR. Took them long enough.....

• foggy3061

Posted June 16, 2014 - 09:39 PM

No need to buy the Gold Valves from the US, you can get them in the UK from PDQ developments, and you get loads of spare shims and a chart so you can go with their valving (which is good) or play with and experiment

Good to know someone is stocking them over here.

• Navaho6

Posted June 17, 2014 - 09:06 AM

I put 2009 WR forks on a 2006 WR.  So, if the 2005 and 2006 WR's have the same triple clamps, no issues.

• fixitandy

Posted June 18, 2014 - 02:04 AM

You can buy a set of YZ450 forks for $300 and sell the WR's for $150 (may take some time). Again, for me, best money spent........well, I actually am enjoying the YZ cam setup in the bike as well, compliments the forks :smirk:

Hey Kenny, did you install both the YZ cams & what year model did you use, & any E start issues, cheers Andy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KennyMc

Posted June 18, 2014 - 06:37 AM

I actually got the the Hotcams for the WR. They have the "YZ" timing but have the correct length decomp pin so you don't have an e-start issue.

Others have just retarded the current WR cam which I believe gives you the same "timing" but you need to remove exactly 1mm of material from the decomp pin. I didn't want the hassle so I just went with the Hotcams.

Camshafts Intake
For Models: 2003 - 2014 Yamaha WR 450F, 2004 - 2009 Yamaha YFZ 450, 2003 - 2009 Yamaha YZ 450F
View Details »
Part #: 4023-1IN Price: $199.95each

Camshafts Exhaust
For Models: 2003 - 2014 Yamaha WR 450F, 2004 - 2009 Yamaha YFZ 450
View Details »
Part #: 4044-1E Price: $199.95each

• stevethe

Posted June 18, 2014 - 07:07 AM

I actually got the the Hotcams for the WR. They have the "YZ" timing but have the correct length decomp pin so you don't have an e-start issue.

Others have just retarded the current WR cam which I believe gives you the same "timing" but you need to remove exactly 1mm of material from the decomp pin. I didn't want the hassle so I just went with the Hotcams.

Camshafts Intake
For Models: 2003 - 2014 Yamaha WR 450F, 2004 - 2009 Yamaha YFZ 450, 2003 - 2009 Yamaha YZ 450F
View Details »
Part #: 4023-1IN Price: $199.95each

Camshafts Exhaust
For Models: 2003 - 2014 Yamaha WR 450F, 2004 - 2009 Yamaha YFZ 450
View Details »
Part #: 4044-1E Price: $199.95each

I am also running stage 1 Hot cams. If you order them you still have to watch that the decompression pin is sticking out far enough. I think it's about 2.55 mm's. The last one they sent me was wrong and the electric start didn't work well. I had to send it back for another one.

• KennyMc

Posted June 18, 2014 - 07:15 AM

I am also running stage 1 Hot cams. If you order them you still have to watch that the decompression pin is sticking out far enough. I think it's about 2.55 mm's. The last one they sent me was wrong and the electric start didn't work well. I had to send it back for another one.

Funny you mention that, I did to.

Got a free set of front and back wheel bearing kit and a front fork rebuild kit out of the deal. They also own Pivotworks. I have used the bearings but since I no longer use the WR forks I still have the rebuild kit. Sell it for half price if anyone needs one.....

• stevethe

Posted June 18, 2014 - 07:24 AM

Funny you mention that, I did to.

Got a free set of front and back wheel bearing kit and a front fork rebuild kit out of the deal. They also own Pivotworks. I have used the bearings but since I no longer use the WR forks I still have the rebuild kit. Sell it for half price if anyone needs one.....

Humph didn't offer me anything. They said if I send it back they will help solve MY problem !  Bone heads.

• KennyMc

Posted June 18, 2014 - 07:37 AM

Oh, I had to argue with them cause I had already put them in the bike. I didn't mic the decomp like one should, hindsight and all.

I had ASRacing do the work at the same time he was doing the valves along with a clean-up port job. Didn't notice the issue until bike was put back together. So I bitched and bitched about having to pay to take apart the head again to replace something they &%$#@!ed up. I didn't buy the cam from them but it was the right part number, my guess is someone just put the wrong sized decomp pin in it. They said they couldn't refund any money since I didn't buy it from them. I had already known by there website that they had "sister" companies. They gave me the "we don't warranty race parts, our mfg. process is blah, blah". I said this isn't a mfg. issue, it's a drunk ass employee issue picking the wrong decomp pin and putting it in this cam (sarcastic of course).......crickets.

That's when he offered a trade in other parts. I just asked for the bearings but he then threw in the fork rebuild kit as good faith. In the end happy with their resolution but again, as you say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease and that shouldn't be the case.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.