fork compatability

29 replies to this topic
  • andrew boyle

Posted June 09, 2014 - 08:20 PM

will a fork from a 2009 wr450 fit a 2005 wr450? any help would be great. cheers

• stevethe

Posted June 10, 2014 - 06:36 AM

will a fork from a 2009 wr450 fit a 2005 wr450? any help would be great. cheers

I think they are both 48 mm. So they should slide in the triples not sure if the brake lugs changed. Unless the stock ones are unfix-able there may not be any upgrade. They all have inherently junk base valves that are easily replaced.

• woods-rider

Posted June 10, 2014 - 04:46 PM

They are the same forks so they will slide right in.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 10, 2014 - 06:13 PM

They will fit, but they are not the same part numbers, I looked it up.

Can't tell why they are different, but they are

• KennyMc

Posted June 11, 2014 - 11:09 PM

I believe from 2005-2011 they were the same 48mm forks.  Now they may have changed the internal spring length but that wouldn't matter to the overall fit I don't believe.

• foggy3061

Posted June 12, 2014 - 09:49 PM

They all have inherently junk base valves that are easily replaced.

Not quite so.

The 2005 wr 48mm forks have a traditional shim stack base valve (Compression) that works well.

2007-2011 wr 48mm forks have the much flawed 'poppet' type base valve. Kayaba even produce a traditional shim stack kit to replace this faulty valve!

Im not sure what type of base valve lives in the 2006 fork though.

• stevethe

Posted June 13, 2014 - 06:19 AM

Not quite so.

The 2005 wr 48mm forks have a traditional shim stack base valve (Compression) that works well.

2007-2011 wr 48mm forks have the much flawed 'poppet' type base valve. Kayaba even produce a traditional shim stack kit to replace this faulty valve!

Im not sure what type of base valve lives in the 2006 fork though.

So do tell. Who carry's the Kayaba shim stack that replaces the junk spring valve set up.

• KennyMc

Posted June 13, 2014 - 06:24 AM

So do tell. Who carry's the Kayaba shim stack that replaces the junk spring valve set up.

You want my build sheet for my WR forks that Smart Performance put together?  PM me your e-mail address and I can send you the pdf file.

• stevethe

Posted June 13, 2014 - 06:43 AM

You want my build sheet for my WR forks that Smart Performance put together?  PM me your e-mail address and I can send you the pdf file.

I am running Racetech gold valves in my 2007 WR450 forks with good results. But thank you for the offer. So smart performance sells shims to remove the stock base valve spring set up.

• KennyMc

Posted June 13, 2014 - 07:54 AM

I am running Racetech gold valves in my 2007 WR450 forks with good results. But thank you for the offer. So smart performance sells shims to remove the stock base valve spring set up.

Every builder that I have dealt with takes the valve spring set up out (RG3 and Smart Performance)  I now have YZ450 (06 as a direct swap so no odometer issue) forks on my WR, hands down the best upgrade done to the bike so far.  ENZO then worked them and I believe during my discussions with them I recall them also mentioning that the sock WR valve spring set up goes away when they work those forks as well.

A phone call to them would confirm as I am sure they would at least be willing to discuss that topic in general. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GuyGraham

Posted June 15, 2014 - 12:48 AM

Not the Kayaba, but the RaceTech Gold Valve and shim stack setup

Night & day difference

If you only do one mod to your bike, do the forks

• foggy3061

Posted June 15, 2014 - 03:47 AM

Not the Kayaba, but the RaceTech Gold Valve and shim stack setup

Night & day difference

If you only do one mod to your bike, do the forks

Nope, these are by Kayaba. They are a complete base valve assembly with an enduro shim stack designed for the WR already installed (i've been emailing them about these), not just a retro fit repalacement piston and shim stack as with the gold valves.

They're in the KYB racing parts catalogue: http://www.technical...index.php?id=33

Here's the description:

WRbasevalves_zps66f14a71.jpg

Edited by foggy3061, June 15, 2014 - 03:50 AM.

• GuyGraham

Posted June 15, 2014 - 03:57 AM

Bet they are more $ than a set of gold valves, with no noticable benefit over the gold vales

• stevethe

Posted June 15, 2014 - 05:00 AM

Nope, these are by Kayaba. They are a complete base valve assembly with an enduro shim stack designed for the WR already installed (i've been emailing them about these), not just a retro fit repalacement piston and shim stack as with the gold valves.

They're in the KYB racing parts catalogue: http://www.technical...index.php?id=33

Here's the description:

WRbasevalves_zps66f14a71.jpg

Froggy nice find !

Bet they are more $ than a set of gold valves, with no noticable benefit over the gold vales

Guy, your probably right.

The WR450 forks, stock base valves with a few miles are one of the all time worst modern day forks ever. It should be made a sticky, they ruin a perfectly good bike and are easily transformed into a good working set of forks.

• KennyMc

Posted June 15, 2014 - 07:28 AM

Froggy nice find !

The WR450 forks, stock base valves with a few miles are one of the all time worst modern day forks ever. It should be made a sticky, they ruin a perfectly good bike and are easily transformed into a good working set of forks.

You can buy a set of YZ450 forks for $300 and sell the WR's for $150 (may take some time). Again, for me, best money spent........well, I actually am enjoying the YZ cam setup in the bike as well, compliments the forks :smirk:

• foggy3061

Posted June 15, 2014 - 08:41 AM

After speaking to technical touch they say rrp is about 250 euro. Buying the gold valves from the US runs close to that after shipping and import duty to the UK. For me, the benefit is a valving tune designed for the wr and enduro riding.

Probably wouldn't be cost effective for the US unless the KYB dealers in the US can supply for around gold valve money?

Froggy nice find !

Factory KYB parts are of very high quality, better than oem parts so should be far better than the poppet base valve.

You can buy a set of YZ450 forks for $300 and sell the WR's for $150 (may take some time). Again, for me, best money spent........well, I actually am enjoying the YZ cam setup in the bike as well, compliments the forks :smirk:

Unfortunately not here in the UK though. If you can find some YZ sss forks here they are usually in appaling condition and yet still want top money for them!

• stevethe

Posted June 15, 2014 - 02:46 PM

After speaking to technical touch they say rrp is about 250 euro. Buying the gold valves from the US runs close to that after shipping and import duty to the UK. For me, the benefit is a valving tune designed for the wr and enduro riding.

Probably wouldn't be cost effective for the US unless the KYB dealers in the US can supply for around gold valve money?

Factory KYB parts are of very high quality, better than oem parts so should be far better than the poppet base valve.

Unfortunately not here in the UK though. If you can find some YZ sss forks here they are usually in appaling condition and yet still want top money for them!

Just one thing froggyman you should find out if the valving will be set up for your type of riding and weight.

When you buy the Racetech valves you get computer access or can call them to set up the shim stack for the type of riding, your weight, larger tank and soft and so forth. I did a supermoto build on a 08' and a Enduro build on a 07' both worked very well. The supermoto I had to call it was not on their accessible website. Also the gold valves get rid of the spring design and uses shims only.

Edited by stevethe, June 15, 2014 - 02:48 PM.

• foggy3061

Posted June 15, 2014 - 09:47 PM

Just one thing froggyman you should find out if the valving will be set up for your type of riding and weight.

When you buy the Racetech valves you get computer access or can call them to set up the shim stack for the type of riding, your weight, larger tank and soft and so forth. I did a supermoto build on a 08' and a Enduro build on a 07' both worked very well. The supermoto I had to call it was not on their accessible website. Also the gold valves get rid of the spring design and uses shims only.

The KYB replacement base valve is a full shim stack too - no more poppet spring! Though it only comes with a standard enduro tune designed for the WR. If you required, it can be tuned to how you ride in the same manner as the gold valves.

I found the Gold Valving whilst good, too firm for UK terrain. Their suggested enduro tune felt very close to MX and very harsh feeling.

The main benefit of the KYB base valves over gold valves for UK use is the support. They are more accustomed to setups for UK terrain an events and have dealers here. Gold valves require emails / calls and I’m not aware of anyone who offers support here in the UK.

Edited by foggy3061, June 15, 2014 - 09:54 PM.

• KennyMc

Posted June 15, 2014 - 10:06 PM

I could never get my WR forks to have the bottom-out resistance I needed while retaining any resemblance of slow speed suppleness. I had RG3 change the valving 2 times after the initial set-up cause I still would bottom out on the high speed stuff. Played around with oil height as well.

The first time out with the YZ forks I actually had to stop in some of the slower rocky stuff to check my front tire pressure. I thought it had a flat cause it felt like it was soaking up the small stuff soo much better. I had ENZO who has had 25 odd years with Kayuba time them. Now I know why they finally put these on the WR's :thumbsup:

• stevethe

Posted June 16, 2014 - 05:57 AM

I could never get my WR forks to have the bottom-out resistance I needed while retaining any resemblance of slow speed suppleness. I had RG3 change the valving 2 times after the initial set-up cause I still would bottom out on the high speed stuff. Played around with oil height as well.

The first time out with the YZ forks I actually had to stop in some of the slower rocky stuff to check my front tire pressure. I thought it had a flat cause it felt like it was soaking up the small stuff soo much better. I had ENZO who has had 25 odd years with Kayuba time them. Now I know why they finally put these on the WR's :thumbsup:

I had a well known off road suspension shop, won't name names do a very shitty job on my forks the first two times. Now after I did the Racetech valves they ride high in the travel and don't bottom. I use a high oil height and stock springs for my weight. My next step might be Ohlins inserts in the WR forks. I believe I can get them on the cheap's.

Enzo is definitely a great go to place for good suspension. I think any forks not set up for your riding and weight are usually not good unless your lucky and they happen to be on target.

Edited by stevethe, June 16, 2014 - 05:59 AM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.