Wider Rear Rim and Tire

4 replies to this topic
  • Greg

Posted January 17, 2002 - 12:52 PM

Has anyone tried 120 wide rear tire? If so, did you use the stock 2.15 rim or the bigger 2.5 rim? I am going to use a Dunlop 756 120x19 and I am wondering about the wider rim. I hear that getting spokes for wider rim is a pain.

• Hick

Posted January 17, 2002 - 02:01 PM

I have never installed a 110 mm rear tire on either of my YZs (’00 and ’01), and I’m sure I’ve gone through at least twenty tires, or whatever seems reasonable in over two years of riding YZFs, and all of them were 120s (most of those 756s).

And here all this time I didn’t know I needed a wider rim. :)

By the way for riding in sand/dez I wouldn’t ever go back to a 110. It is a more noticeable traction or hook-up difference, IMO, than going from any tread design or brand to another, and almost as much difference as going from a worn tire to a new one.

Having said that I bet 95% of the people here have never run a 120, and I’m sure more than 5% ride in the sand, so maybe there is something I don’t know in addition to that thing about needing a wider rim. Not that I discount it, but who told you that?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Greg

Posted January 18, 2002 - 05:40 AM

Thanks for the reply. Most people I know, don't use the wider rim with the 120, however I know our local Honda team have used the wider rims and have noticed improved hookup. This primarily do to a wider tread on the ground.

• Greg

Posted January 18, 2002 - 05:40 AM

Thanks for the reply. Most people I know, don't use the wider rim with the 120, however I know our local Honda team have used the wider rims and have noticed improved hookup. This primarily do to a wider tread on the ground.

• freestyle111

Posted January 19, 2002 - 10:26 PM

im running michelin s12 130\80 right now.it fits fine.the only thing that it came close too rubbing was the mud flap.i fixed that by heating mud flap with propane torch and soon as it gets a little soft you can bend it away from the tire and hold there till it cools down.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.