Leaking forks...

10 replies to this topic
  • manotickmike

Posted June 08, 2014 - 05:59 PM

Been reading a bunch of searched posts... Both forks are leaking on my " new " 426. Is it possible I caused this by adjusting the front ride height back to stock? Is there a proper way to do this to ensure alignment? I'm waiting on a seal cleaning tool, should I just buy new seals, or is a seal and replacement bushing kit the way to go? I'm trying not to let this rescued bike nickle and dime me into wishing I'd bought one in better shape.

• condor74

Posted June 08, 2014 - 06:08 PM

It depends on what is causing the leak.  If you have streaks on your fork tubes, your bushings are probably shot.  Also you can check the fork legs by removing the front wheel and seeing if there is any for and aft movement in the leg.  If there is, you will need to put new bushings and seals in it.  If that is all good, you can often fix the leak by removing the dust seal and sliding a piece of film or backing from a decal up into the seal while spraying some cleaner into it.  I have fixed many this way. 

On the other hand being as this bike is new to you, It may be a good idea to change the fluid in your suspension and use this opportunity to put new fork seals in it.  I would inspect it first and make sure you dont need other repairs first.

• stevethe

Posted June 08, 2014 - 06:20 PM

I've always found the chrome tubes are scratched and the seals go.
Make sure you sand any scratches out or they will leak again right away.
Ever since I've used the neoprene seal savers no more leaks. I feel guilty not changing the oil.

• manotickmike

Posted June 10, 2014 - 01:33 PM

I can't see any wear, or streaks, nor did it leak until I put the ride height back to stock. From my reading I thought I must have mis-aligned something.
Guess I'll just try seals, wipers and new oil, and see what happens.
Any recommendations regarding seals and wipers, and fork oil brand? 5 weight? I see a LOT of O rings, and a copper washer mentioned in the manual. Since I can't get the bits locally, should I have those on hand, or are they usually OK?
Thanks!

Edited by manotickmike, June 10, 2014 - 03:58 PM.

• Spiritwalker2222

Posted June 13, 2014 - 09:07 AM

Manotick Mike, if you decide to change your fork seals and or bushings shoot me a PM. I have the specialty suspension tools if you don't have them. And I live pretty close to you.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • manotickmike

Posted June 14, 2014 - 07:58 PM

Wow, thanks!
I'd planned to wing it with some pvc pipe...And saran wrap!
Better drop the tools and run, or I might try to get you to walk me through it ;)
PM'd!

• Navaho6

Posted June 16, 2014 - 05:17 PM

Most of the time, it is grit in the seals that causes a leak.  Clean them good first.

• JVP

Posted June 17, 2014 - 09:11 AM

Go to Web and look up Fork Servicing and get some pointers on how to check for leaks and replace your seals.  It sound like you and trying to short cut the process.  If you don't want to be "Nickled and Dimed" do it right the first time instead of chasing your tail.

• mebgardner

Posted June 17, 2014 - 11:00 AM

I've always found the chrome tubes are scratched and the seals go.
Make sure you sand any scratches out or they will leak again right away.
Ever since I've used the neoprene seal savers no more leaks. I feel guilty not changing the oil.

I've looked over the ADVRider thread / opinions on the Seal Savers.  Good Stuff...

Anyone with experience using the new "zip-up" type seal savers?  How do you like'em?

• stevethe

Posted June 17, 2014 - 11:46 AM

I'm not sure about the zip up savers. The ones I use are Velcro and they work great.

• JVP

Posted June 17, 2014 - 02:52 PM

I use the short Seal Savers on all my bikes.  Two of them need to be Zip Tied.  The WR uses the guides to hold them in place.  BTW, I swear by them.  Just make sure you get them clean when you wash your bike.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.