2014 air box cap air cowl assembly

30 replies to this topic
  • swaldrop

Posted June 09, 2014 - 08:44 AM

Perfect! So others have realised yamaha have messed up with the intake system. Good find mate.

I am not saying that it's impossible, but I have put around 200 hours in the sand between my 2011 and 2014 YZ450s and have yet to have any issue what so ever. In fact, if anything, the filter area remains cleaner than it ever did being under my seat. While the front entry air intake may seem like a bigger target for debris, your rear tire does far more damage to an air filter than your front ever could.

Choking up your intake with foam seems like a bad idea to me. Make sure you have a clean, well oiled filter and you will be fine.

• Gaz929

Posted June 09, 2014 - 08:49 AM

I am not saying that it's impossible, but I have put around 200 hours in the sand between my 2011 and 2014 YZ450s and have yet to have any issue what so ever. In fact, if anything, the filter area remains cleaner than it ever did being under my seat. While the front entry air intake may seem like a bigger target for debris, your rear tire does far more damage to an air filter than your front ever could.

Choking up your intake with foam seems like a bad idea to me. Make sure you have a clean, well oiled filter and you will be fine.

I know what your saying mate, I was toying with the idea of putting anything in the shrouds at all. I was just going to put mesh over the holes. I'm still skeptical to the flo shroud intake filters so think I'll just stick to the mesh.

• high_flyer_969

Posted June 09, 2014 - 09:11 PM

I have a 2014 yz250f and also was concerned with sand getting inside the air box while at the dunes, I just cut the feet out of a pair of pantyhose and slid them over the intake holes, it isn't the cleanest look but it did what I wanted it to. I have put about 10 hours on the bike at the dunes and use this method every time, never found any sand in my air box even when riding behind someone and haven't had any issues of any sort, cheap quick way to get by in a pinch I guess

• Goforaride

Posted June 09, 2014 - 09:17 PM

I went for a ride in the dunes today. It was fairly windy, sand blowing. You would be absolutely disgusted by the amount of sand that got to the filter. Literally 30 mins of riding and the filter is now in the trash.

• swaldrop

Posted June 09, 2014 - 09:25 PM

I went for a ride in the dunes today. It was fairly windy, sand blowing. You would be absolutely disgusted by the amount of sand that got to the filter. Literally 30 mins of riding and the filter is now in the trash.

I don't believe the question was whether or not the filter would get sand on it under certain conditions. I just don't believe that the location of the filter makes it any more vulnerable than the old design, and in most cases I would contend that it is less susceptible to being compromised. And I certainly wouldn't want to choke out the intake with a bunch of foam.

I'm no engineer by trade, and I'm only speaking from my own experience, so take it for what it's worth.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Goforaride

Posted June 09, 2014 - 09:52 PM

I don't believe the question was whether or not the filter would get sand on it under certain conditions. I just don't believe that the location of the filter makes it any more vulnerable than the old design, and in most cases I would contend that it is less susceptible to being compromised. And I certainly wouldn't want to choke out the intake with a bunch of foam.

I'm no engineer by trade, and I'm only speaking from my own experience, so take it for what it's worth.

the location of the filter is genius. It's the intake holes that are the goof. If you actually look at the filter box and cover, you will see that there are several holes and other openings to allow massive air flow. Putting a filter in the not so genius holes up front will not restrict air flow enough for your engine to notice. It will however keep a large majority of crap out of the filter box. Here in the next couple weeks I will be dyno testing to confirm but I am already certain of the outcome

• yzUSMCf

Posted August 09, 2014 - 08:56 PM

the location of the filter is genius. It's the intake holes that are the goof. If you actually look at the filter box and cover, you will see that there are several holes and other openings to allow massive air flow. Putting a filter in the not so genius holes up front will not restrict air flow enough for your engine to notice. It will however keep a large majority of crap out of the filter box. Here in the next couple weeks I will be dyno testing to confirm but I am already certain of the outcome

got the dyno. Charts?! I'm curious to see..

• Goforaride

Posted August 09, 2014 - 09:22 PM

got the dyno. Charts?! I'm curious to see..

I just moved and the charts are packed away. I bought the PC intake filters and run them oil free. The dyno showed no difference.

• yzUSMCf

Posted August 09, 2014 - 09:29 PM

Sweet thanks!

When I run in the dunes I'll probably throw on a filter sock too just to be safe

• yzUSMCf

Posted August 09, 2014 - 09:59 PM

Oh and what were the dyno #'s stock? Or modded?

• Denaki

Posted August 10, 2014 - 09:31 AM

You now can buy a new upper scoop made by Acerbis in black, blue and black and white and black $126.99

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.