2014 air box cap air cowl assembly

30 replies to this topic
  • Goforaride

Posted June 08, 2014 - 09:41 AM

I know UFO makes one but for whatever reason it's not sold in the US. I can't find one anywhere. Any ideas? image.jpg

http://www.outlawrac...yzf250-450-2014

Edited by Goforaride, June 08, 2014 - 09:42 AM.

• Gaz929

Posted June 08, 2014 - 10:21 AM

While on this subject does anyone think that the intake holes should of had some sort of mesh over them to stop large bits of debris entering them?

• Goforaride

Posted June 08, 2014 - 10:44 AM

While on this subject does anyone think that the intake holes should of had some sort of mesh over them to stop large bits of debris entering them?

YES!!! Which is exactly why I want the extra intakes. I found that when in sand, the front tire kicks sand up right into the intake holes. I have a couple different ideas to pre filter the intake air but both require modifying the intake

• Gaz929

Posted June 08, 2014 - 10:46 AM

YES!!! Which is exactly why I want the extra intakes. I found that when in sand, the front tire kicks sand up right into the intake holes. I have a couple different ideas to pre filter the intake air but both require modifying the intake

Do keep us posted then mate, I have an idea myself but scared to hack into it haha!

• Goforaride

Posted June 08, 2014 - 10:48 AM

Do keep us posted then mate, I have an idea myself but scared to hack into it haha!

well first thing is finding a source for getting the plastics. Seems over there, you can get them. You should go for it!

• Gaz929

Posted June 08, 2014 - 10:50 AM

I've only had the bike for two months so like I said I'm not too keen on the idea yet :(

• Goforaride

Posted June 08, 2014 - 10:58 AM

I've only had the bike for two months so like I said I'm not too keen on the idea yet :(

you got me beat. I have had mine since Monday. Personally I'd rather destroy $100 or less worth of plastic instead of filling my motor with sand

• Gaz929

Posted June 08, 2014 - 10:59 AM

you got me beat. I have had mine since Monday. Personally I'd rather destroy $100 or less worth of plastic instead of filling my motor with sand

Haha you've defo got a point there mate. Now where's my tools lol

• Goforaride

Posted June 08, 2014 - 11:02 AM

Haha you've defo got a point there mate. Now where's my tools lol

umm. wire Mesh. Drill. Rivets. Foam. I was thinking something like the outer foam on a uni filter.

• Gaz929

Posted June 08, 2014 - 11:10 AM

umm. wire Mesh. Drill. Rivets. Foam. I was thinking something like the outer foam on a uni filter.

I was thinking just mesh as I don't want to restrict the intake flow too much.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Goforaride

Posted June 08, 2014 - 11:42 AM

I was thinking just mesh as I don't want to restrict the intake flow too much.

that foam has little to no restriction.image.jpg

• Goforaride

Posted June 08, 2014 - 11:43 AM

Guys will stuff there entire filter box full of it to filter out the sand. No ill effects

• Gaz929

Posted June 08, 2014 - 11:48 AM

Guys will stuff there entire filter box full of it to filter out the sand. No ill effects

I've just questioned the wife if she's seen my mesh and said yeah I put it in the bin as I thought it was rubbish! :(

WTF man!!! Women honestly.

• Goforaride

Posted June 08, 2014 - 11:52 AM

I've just questioned the wife if she's seen my mesh and said yeah I put it in the bin as I thought it was rubbish! :(
&%$#@! man!!! Women honestly.

ok don't even get me started on that one. My wife throws away everything. Tools, parts, anything, usually just because it looks old and used

• Goforaride

Posted June 08, 2014 - 11:54 AM

I swear that if I ever put my bike away dirty, it would get tossed away.

• Goforaride

Posted June 08, 2014 - 12:02 PM

image.jpg I was thinking something more along the lines of this. For my idea all it would really do is prevent the foam from being sucked all the way through the intake

• Goforaride

Posted June 08, 2014 - 12:06 PM

Now that I think about it, a sheet of kydex would be perfect. You could form it so that it can be permanently riveted and drill holes in it. Plus it's super light

• Gaz929

Posted June 08, 2014 - 01:09 PM

Now that I think about it, a sheet of kydex would be perfect. You could form it so that it can be permanently riveted and drill holes in it. Plus it's super light

See what other people come up with before I dig in.

• Goforaride

Posted June 08, 2014 - 07:31 PM

Problem solved! http://www.pcracingu...Z250F_p_98.html

• Gaz929

Posted June 09, 2014 - 08:14 AM

Problem solved! http://www.pcracingu...Z250F_p_98.html

Perfect! So others have realised yamaha have messed up with the intake system. Good find mate.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.