Shorted my Stator on exhaust

6 replies to this topic
  • deadstick

Posted June 05, 2014 - 08:06 PM

So I'm pretty embarrassed by this but I let my stator wire come in contact with my exhaust and it melted through and shorted 2 wires and melted my stator.   Its a 2007 YZ450F I have replaced the stator with a brand new one and just spent $130 on a new coil because my ohm reading said it was bad .4 well after buying the new one ( no returns on electrical components) it read .4 as well, lame. so before spending any more money I need some help. Obviously the CDI is the only thing left as I have tested the wiring harness and everything is good.  Any help from you gurus would be great.  I have not tested the throttle sensor yet, does would that have been harmed as well?

• flyandride

Posted June 05, 2014 - 08:58 PM

Most multimeters are not all that accurate at low resistance.  And the manuals should say something like 0 to 1 ohm.  Now you have a spare coil or can sell it on ebay.  If in doubt about the TPS, disconnect it, as the bike will run without it.  

• Mike in OK

Posted June 06, 2014 - 04:36 AM

Sorry to not be much help here but how did your hot pipe come into contact with your stator?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Still Bill

Posted June 06, 2014 - 05:47 AM

You can never go wrong with a new coil!  I have chased gremlins that turned out to be a bad coil which tested as good more than once.

I assume you have no spark (you didn't actually say).  Have you actually checked for spark and put in a new plug, or is it just not starting?

Did you try disconnecting the kill switch?

If you fried the stator, I think it is possible that you also fried the CDI, but just guessing.  Is there a voltage regulator also?

• deadstick

Posted June 06, 2014 - 06:02 AM

Ha that's the embarrassing part I didn't zip tie it in my rush to go ride. Yes the problem is I am not getting spark. I tried new plugs, I guess I'll start looking for a new cdi. And no it does not have a regulator, that I know of unless it is build into the cdi unit.

• deadstick

Posted June 16, 2014 - 08:12 PM

So I got a new cdi and still no spark! I have tested the wiring harness, everything had connectivity. I have a new cdi, new stator from electro sport and a new coil. The only thing I have not tested is the tps, which should not affect spark I think? I am at my wits end with this one. Could the flywheel have lost polarity on the magnets or is there any other component to replace or check?!

• deadstick

Posted June 27, 2014 - 09:28 PM

Ok turned it that the brand new stator was no good, I got another from rocky stator And everything works great.

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.