Fork oil amount. XR650R

5 replies to this topic
  • slowxr

Posted January 21, 2004 - 01:54 PM

I was looking in my service guide and it said the forks hold approx. 21.5 oz. of fork oil. Is this per fork or for the pair?
I'm just trying to figure out how much total oil I need to buy.
Also, this will be my first change. Is it recommended to rinse the tube out with anything other then clean oil?

• irondude

Posted January 21, 2004 - 02:12 PM

Most of us just measure the oil as the height from the top of the fork, with the spring out, fully pumped and collapsed. Its more usefull as the amount in ounces is for a completely 'dry' fork. Plus--if you are like me--you might have to yank that spring out a couple times (and so loose fork oil) while you get the thing bolted back together. Meaning you would have to completely disassemble and clean everything all over again....to get the exact amount in...and yes suspension is noticalby sensitive to even 1-2 tablespoons difference.

Most guys seem to like 110mm distance from the top of the fork to the oil level. If memory is right- Honda specs are from 90-120mm--so for sure theres room to play around with.
Also- if its sprung properly for your weight-then it seems 3 or 2.5 weight oil is better then 5 wt. You will have better response to straight edges-rocks, roots, etc. But adjust the clikcers stiffer a bit - like 1-4 clicks.
-Mike

• slowxr

Posted January 21, 2004 - 02:18 PM

Thanks.
Is it roughly 21.5 oz. per fork or for the pair?
I'm trying to figure out how many bottles of oil to buy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • irondude

Posted January 21, 2004 - 02:22 PM

Buy two. You can almost get by with one-but after spilling a bit and what not-you will need two.

• JackAttack

Posted January 21, 2004 - 02:39 PM

You will need to buy two. I think I used a little over 1200ml, for both legs. Go with the 2.5wt. I have the 5wt in mine and I think I'm going to change it to 2.5wt. :)

You can flush out the old fluid with ATF or some of the 800ml you have left over from the 2 liters.

• BWB63

Posted January 21, 2004 - 05:22 PM

A completely empty fork (one) takes 635ml to have 120mm from the top and 655ml for 110mm from the top. I fill the fork with 650 and add a little till it is 110 to 105mm depending on the rider I am rebuilding it for.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.