XR600 carb question

14 replies to this topic
  • pozo1

Posted January 21, 2004 - 12:03 PM

I have a 99 XR600 that hesitates when I give it full throttle. Before I tear out the carb and look for the cause, I was wondering if there where any other easy things to check first? :) I'm thinking there might be a fuel plunger diaphram that is torn (if it has one??) . Any suggestions?

Thanks!

• xr650Lroostnya

Posted January 21, 2004 - 01:46 PM

Is it still in stock form???

• pozo1

Posted January 21, 2004 - 04:38 PM

The guy who owned it before me had it jetted. I just stopped by the motorcycle shop to have a tire mounted and I asked them what they thought. They thought I should increase the idle a little and richen the mixture a half turn. They also said it is normal for it to bog out when going from idle to full throttle. ???

Thanks

• xr650Lroostnya

Posted January 21, 2004 - 04:49 PM

Does it bog when you turn the throttle really quick from idle or just when turning it normally??? Also do you still have the stock air filter on the bike and airbox snorkel it could be that the bike isnt getting enough air into the air/fuel mixture. :)

• pozo1

Posted January 21, 2004 - 11:06 PM

It bogs when it is idling and I open the throttle full bore. I'm not sure what the stock air filter looks like.
The one that is on it has an oblong metal mesh inner cage
with a foam filter encapsulating it. The intake throat looks
stock. it ends under the seat. I should try taking the airbox cover off to see if that helps. If it does I'm not sure how to modify the existing intake. The bike has upgraded suspension, FMF. I love it.

Thanks

• Moredesert

Posted January 22, 2004 - 11:20 PM

On my 600 I had trouble with jetting for a while. I found the bike would bog as you said. When I snapped the throttle with NO load on the motor, everytime no mater what jet I put in it bogged. While riding the bike in gear I never had a problem. The bike never ran as well as my XR650 does but then that's a water cooled motor.

• pozo1

Posted January 23, 2004 - 11:55 AM

MD

Your right, I never really notice the bog out when I'm riding. It's kind of fun to give it the throttle after it's warmed up and sitting in the driveway ready to load up. That roar gets me primed for the ride. Maybe the symptoms are normal for a XR600. Let's see if there are any other opinions.

Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xr650Lroostnya

Posted January 23, 2004 - 02:25 PM

Also you mite wanna try posting this in the jetting forum my dads '01 xr400r had the same problems and I posted about it there and I got some good answers. :)

• larry650

Posted January 23, 2004 - 07:19 PM

Is it a California bike? Starting with the 98 model year, more restrictive intake manifolds were used. If your bike was rejetted richer, without replacing the manifold, might be the source of your bog. I had a 96xr600 and 1 size richer pilot,2 sizes richer on the main, a uni air filter, and a unrestricted baffle made a noticeable difference for the better.

• pozo1

Posted January 23, 2004 - 09:15 PM

It is a CA bike. I'm not much help answering questions because I can tell what is modified and what is not. The
intake manifold is black plastic. Roost gave me an idea so I went and bought a new Uni filter. It looks like it opens it up quite a bit compared to the one already on it. It still has the same syptoms (I'm really happy with the new filter though) I think I'm going to have to wimp out and let the Honda shop take a look at it. I'm still not sure if it's normal for the bike to act that way.
I heard the 650 has a fuel injector but this model doesn't.
True or false???

Thanks

• xr650Lroostnya

Posted January 24, 2004 - 06:12 AM

As far as I know neither the L or R has a fuel injector both have carbs. The only bikes I have heard of that have Fuel injectors are GasGas.

• Moredesert

Posted January 24, 2004 - 10:21 PM

Pozo1, The reason it bogs with no load is because your opening the carb too fast. With no accelerator pump to add fuel at low RPM's your intake vacumn falls off and the fuel mixture goes lean. Basically the engine goes flat until fuel can be sucked out of the bowl. When your in gear running the RPM's are higher so there is no lost of intake vacumn.

• pozo1

Posted January 25, 2004 - 10:13 PM

MD

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking along the same lines but was not sure if it was normal for it to act that way. I guess thats that's way they designed it.
Thanks!

• Matt96xr6

Posted January 27, 2004 - 08:08 AM

Go buy a Edelbrock pumper carb for the bike. It will solve all the jetting and cough out problems.

One of the best things you can do for a Xr600

• pozo1

Posted January 27, 2004 - 06:43 PM

Matt

Good idea. I'll bet that pump will do the trick. I just want to have instant power when I need it. I probably should have held out for the XR650. A lot of people seem to be really happy with theirs. Hey...If you get a chance maybe you can post some photos of riding areas in Oregon. I'll bet it's awesome.

Thanks

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.