CO riders, Berthoud HS on 1.20.02

First off I'm a flat-lander from Oklahoma, but isn't Berthoud the pass that is on the way to Winter Park, and isn't it under about 8' of snow? I've always wanted to ride up there, you guys should count your blessings to be able to ride the mountains when-ever you want. Of course an acre of land here still can be had for under $1000...

Well, the Berthoud he's talking about is the name of a local MX track, about 40 miles (?) north of Denver. Berthoud Pass is the area you speak of. The mountains are pretty much totally unrideable from late November thru late May, depending on where you want to ride. Some trails won't open up until July.

Merf

Originally posted by MikeOK:

First off I'm a flat-lander from Oklahoma, but isn't Berthoud the pass that is on the way to Winter Park, and isn't it under about 8' of snow? I've always wanted to ride up there, you guys should count your blessings to be able to ride the mountains when-ever you want. Of course an acre of land here still can be had for under $1000...

I was confused about that for a while too, when I first moved out here.

You have:

Berthoud Pass, Berthoud the town/Track (Which are nowhere near each other)

Loveland pass, Loveland ski area, Loveland town...

It just goes on and on....

[ January 17, 2002: Message edited by: Hokie ]

Hokie, I will be there too with a bum shoulder. I pulled my arm out of its socket on Dec 30 and have not been able to ride. But I have not missed a VDR HS in over 4 years and not about to start now. Gonna tape my helmets mouthguard to the crossbar with duct tape, steer with my neck and hope for the best.

Originally posted by mikeolichney:

Hokie, I will be there too with a bum shoulder. I pulled my arm out of its socket on Dec 30 and have not been able to ride. But I have not missed a VDR HS in over 4 years and not about to start now. Gonna tape my helmets mouthguard to the crossbar with duct tape, steer with my neck and hope for the best.

Man I thought I was hard core dislocating twice in the same race at Milliken!!

There was no way I was going to ride only two weeks after that!

I'll keep my eyes open for ya!

LOL mike! Don't feel bad, I tore a muscle in my back a couple weeks ago, been trying to find a way to ride without crying in pain!

Is there going to be a TT ride this summer in CO? The guys over at extremedirtbike are talking about doing one around the engineer pass area. I would like to make it up there this summer with my 426... In fact I am planning on it, just would be more fun with a big group...

Originally posted by Hokie:

Man I thought I was hard core dislocating twice in the same race at Milliken!!

No Hokey, YOU get the hardcore award. This was the first time I ever did it, and I hope the last. I was backcountry skiing and my pole caught on a root while I was going downhill. Felt like someone handcuffed me to a passing car. A very painful hour and a half later I was in the ER. It took three docs to get it back in. One doc wrapped a sheet around my chest and pulled while the other two pulled on my arm. I would not have been finishing any race, I can tell you that. Were you able to put yours back in by yourself?

We are in a white/green Shasta RV with a white trailer. We park over by the north track rythm section/check gate area (NE corner of the parking lot). Come look us up.

MikeOK, we tried to organize a TT trip last year to Crested Butte but there were no takers. I was even offereing lodging for $20/night at our place. If you are interested in organizing a trip, let me know. I am not interested in being an organizer but I will provide a killer deal on lodging

http://vssnet.aescon.com/lodging/Default.asp

Man, you guys are bringing back some great memories. I went to High School in the late 60's early 70's in Ft. Collins and lived at Berthoud.

Felix ran the track and I remember the first time we went there to practice we helped him unload his PINK DT-1 and he gave us a six-pack to keep us happy till the KEG chilled down. I was 15 and thought this MX stuff was the greatest.

At first I rode a 1968 360 Husky and then got one of the first TM-400s. I loved the TM. I have heard Felix has moved to Cabo and is running some kind of Yacht?

Live in Northern California now, a little far the make it for Sunday.

Were you able to put yours back in by yourself?

This was the first (and second time) that it ever happened to me too. The first one was barely out I think because as I was talking to the EMT it slid back in by itself.

The EMT says: "Well, how do you feel"

Me: "Ok, kinda sore"

EMT: "Well you can probably finish if you want, just take it easy"

So I think I took it easy for about a lap until I got passed by people that should not be passing me. Then BAM, wrecked again. This time it was all the way out and not going back in.

Over comes the EMT dudes again. They were going to send me to the hospital but one of the guys said he could do it there. So the put it back in at the track right in the middle of the course. I'm sure it was a sight to see while you are racing.

It felt SO much better once it got back in.

See you Sunday!

Originally posted by MikeOK:

LOL mike! Don't feel bad, I tore a muscle in my back a couple weeks ago, been trying to find a way to ride without crying in pain!

Is there going to be a TT ride this summer in CO? The guys over at extremedirtbike are talking about doing one around the engineer pass area. I would like to make it up there this summer with my 426... In fact I am planning on it, just would be more fun with a big group...

I would be interested in this, too.

All: I got the dates wrong for the CC at Aztec. It's 2/3, not next weekend.

Hokie: I'll be the guy with the shaved head sitting in sect 122, row9, seat 12 or 13. Gimme a holler and we'll do some adult beverage. (they allow that at freestyle events, right?)

Merf

Originally posted by Merfman:

All: I got the dates wrong for the CC at Aztec. It's 2/3, not next weekend.

Hokie: I'll be the guy with the shaved head sitting in sect 122, row9, seat 12 or 13. Gimme a holler and we'll do some adult beverage. (they allow that at freestyle events, right?)

Merf

They had them at the Arena Cross last year, and I'm SURE they will have them at a FMX event...

Hokie, it was good to meet you. Maybe we can get together and ride sometime. I was happy to finish with no falls or stalls and my arm in its socket. Three weeks without riding left me with blistered hands and sore arms and back. Two months off would have toasted me.

I am sore everywhere a person can be sore!

Praise ibuprofen!