wr 426 crank hot spot should i split the case

3 replies to this topic
  • john munt

Posted June 01, 2014 - 05:59 PM

it was about 105 out when I was ridding home stuck at a light bike shut off with slight back fire pushed it to the side of the road let it cool down went to kick it over felt a slight metal to metal binding got it to start but shut it off because of that filling took the head off and this is what I find wondering if I should just split the case and replace the bearing don't want to put the piston and new rings back in the bike just to have it go and mess everything else up what do you guys think any advice would greatly help

Attached Thumbnails

• wr 426 crank.jpg
  • wr 426 crank.jpg

• GEOF

Posted June 01, 2014 - 09:51 PM

Hey there John. 

This is very common as heat is use in factory to assemble the crank. Nothing to be worried about. As far as dong a rebuild and if it was my bike I would do the main bearings. Check the crank for radial clearance and run out. How many hours on the bottom end??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thinlineggman

Posted June 01, 2014 - 11:17 PM

Man, those are really small heat spots! The ones on my yz250 crank are humongous compared to that.

You find the source of the grinding? Those wr450's get super hot if you're not constantly moving. My buddy had his wr426 blow a head gasket just from stop and go traffic.

• grayracer513

Posted June 02, 2014 - 09:36 AM

The crank is normal.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.