wr426f 2002 doesn't run well

8 replies to this topic
  • Vitaly

Posted June 01, 2014 - 04:57 AM

Hi! i have a problem with my wr426. here's a vid

the biggest question for me is that sometimes it starts well and work properly, but after 5-10 min ride it works like this. and sometimes it works bad from the beginning (when the engine is not hot)

what i tried to solve this:

changed carb

changed Plug cap assy

changed CDI

checked and adjusted valves

checked piston, cylinder and

nothing helped...

does anybody have any ideas?..

• flyandride

Posted June 01, 2014 - 05:54 AM

The glowing red header is normal for these bikes.  They typically do it at idle with no airflow.  So as long as the bike is running OK, don't worry about the glowing header.  I have a 250 and a 450 and they both do it.  

• Vitaly

Posted June 01, 2014 - 06:11 AM

Thanks for  reply!

but the problem is not in the red header. you can hear how it works weak. 

on this video i give less gas but it sounds much better (just as it supposed to, acually)

tha problem is that it does-nt give anough power and just doesn't go fast...

• flyandride

Posted June 01, 2014 - 06:54 AM

That sounds like a completely stock bike with the original silencer tip still in place.  If so, you need to look up the free mods.  They will make a huge difference.  

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted June 01, 2014 - 03:29 PM

Are you holding it wide open, or just partial throttle

• Vitaly

Posted June 01, 2014 - 03:42 PM

it's wide open.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 01, 2014 - 04:51 PM

I'd do a leak down test on the head.

If it hasn't ever been redone, it's probably time.

• DunmireD001

Posted June 08, 2014 - 05:29 AM

Check the compression. That's usually the biggest part of power loss and is usually fixable by shimming the valves, or a valve job...

If compression checks out fine I'd look into the carb. Your header is glowing too much too easily. Mine used to glow that hot back before I re-jetted the carb. It was running so lean it wouldn't idle right, so I had the air/fuel screw turned way in to compensate so that it would idle. But when I would twist the throttle it would then run rich causing my header to glow like this. (Not burning all of the fuel in the cylinder) so basically there is excess fuel burning in your header... Once I fixed the jetting the bike idles and runs right now, but the pipe only glows after I'm actually riding it harder. At idle it doesn't glow...

If both of these check out fine and your air filter isn't clogged I would go into the electrical systems. It could be not enough spark, or a faulty sensor.

• Vitaly

Posted November 07, 2014 - 04:30 PM

Thanks to everybody!

the problem was in faulty sensor btw (maybe it will be helpful to anybody)

i've just unplugged it and now it works great!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.