Hot Starting WR426

5 replies to this topic

Posted January 21, 2004 - 03:50 AM

Sorry to demonstrate my ignorance, but my knowledge of jetting has always been poor. I have a WR426 O2, FMF Q, Air box unplugged. After about an hour of riding if I stop for a rest it is very hard to re-start. Once lit it is prone to choking slightly on the top end and back-firing coming off the gas. Any advice would be great. Thanks

• tctrailrider

Posted January 21, 2004 - 05:44 AM

Assuming that you are using the hot start button, that will lean it up. Backfiring on decel is a PJ issue and I am guessing you are rich. Try turning in the fuel screw on the bottom of the carb. Do you know what jetting you have, whats your altitude?
As a test with the bike warm and running pull the hot start out. If jetted correctly the idle should increase and idle to high. If it runs good your to rich on the PJ, if it does nothing at all the hot start should be checked.

Posted January 22, 2004 - 01:41 AM

Many thanks, I did tinker with the pilot to try and stop the back-fire. But have obviously gone the wrong way :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Math

Posted January 23, 2004 - 08:13 PM

Guys will correct me if I'm wrong but this all sounds to me like you are to lean on the pilot jet. Try to make it slightly richer. If you are in the UK, you might be at a comparable altitude to mine (Québec city). My pilot was too lean and my bike was also backfiring a lot when closing the throttle to use engine braking...

Posted January 23, 2004 - 08:46 PM

Hey cammy I have the exact same bike 02 wr 426 with a white brothers e-series. I only went up one jet size with the pipe addition air box unplugged. and it always fires back up even with out the hot start unless I dump it.But if you been riding it they say your supposed to pull the hot start every time. But I don't have to on mine.make sure you push it in right after it fires up. :) :D

• Math

Posted January 24, 2004 - 03:05 PM

they say your supposed to pull the hot start every time

Then, you may still be too lean...

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.