What is the proper thing to do for a flooded engine? YZ426F 02

8 replies to this topic
  • the_trademark

Posted May 29, 2014 - 07:38 AM

Hi fellow bikers. 

I have a simple question. When i fall or if it stalls for any reason almost every time it floods and i have serious trouble starting it. Every time i try different things with the hot start, choke and decompression lever but i havent found the right way to resart it. Can you please tell me the proper procedure to do? :)

Edited by the_trademark, May 29, 2014 - 07:39 AM.

• seacraft69

Posted May 29, 2014 - 09:13 AM

When my 06 stalls I just hold the hot start open for a couple seconds before and while kicking. Usually 1 or 2 kicks and I'm off.

• Yz400f Jeff

Posted May 29, 2014 - 10:54 AM

Hold the compression release open, kick it abunch of times to clear it out.

• Ryan Parker

Posted May 29, 2014 - 10:57 AM

If flooded hold the gas wide open while kicking.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mx5112002

Posted May 29, 2014 - 12:47 PM

If flooded hold the gas wide open while kicking.

+1 lots of fuel needs lots of air.

• 90atk

Posted May 29, 2014 - 03:02 PM

i thought on these bikes you were never suposed to hold the throttle open while trying to start it?

• 90atk

Posted May 29, 2014 - 03:04 PM

this is what i do. second bike down is for the yz426f

http://www.dirtbikem...34C8D98BEAD7C6B

• grayracer513

Posted May 29, 2014 - 05:11 PM

i thought on these bikes you were never suposed to hold the throttle open while trying to start it?

It won't very likely start that way in any case, but using the compression release, and holding the carb open at the same time you kick the engine through will blow out the excess fuel that's flooded the engine without drawing in any new fuel in the process.  That's because there won't be enough air moving through the carb fast enough to create the necessary vacuum to raise fuel up through the jets.

This can also be done with auto decompression engines, but just turn it through slowly while doing so. 

It may also be useful if the engine still acts flooded to open the throttle between 1/8 and 1/4 while cranking.  The extra air will get it going.  Just be aware there is a potential for it to kick back rather viciously.

• cr250boyy

Posted June 24, 2014 - 05:11 AM

It won't very likely start that way in any case, but using the compression release, and holding the carb open at the same time you kick the engine through will blow out the excess fuel that's flooded the engine without drawing in any new fuel in the process. That's because there won't be enough air moving through the carb fast enough to create the necessary vacuum to raise fuel up through the jets.

This can also be done with auto decompression engines, but just turn it through slowly while doing so.

It may also be useful if the engine still acts flooded to open the throttle between 1/8 and 1/4 while cranking. The extra air will get it going. Just be aware there is a potential for it to kick back rather viciously.

when i had a 2002 426 it was a dog to start after it flooded and if you hold the throttle open it will near break your leg if your not careful

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.