Valve Shimming

5 replies to this topic
  • Matthew12816

Posted May 28, 2014 - 03:53 PM

i'm currently shimming my valves on my 05 YZ 450F. My exhaust side are all in specification. But my two intake valves(the two closest to the carb) were out of specifications(it was more than my biggest feeler gauge which is 0.25) and i put the biggest shim i have in my kit which is a 3.50 and it is still out of spec so any help here would be very great... i have no clue what to do at this point?

The recommended intake specification are 0.010- 0.015

The recommended exhaust specifications are 0.020- 0.025

• Slow and Jerky

Posted May 29, 2014 - 04:03 AM

Check the cam lobes with a micrometer, also take a close look for cupping on the lifters.

• grayracer513

Posted May 29, 2014 - 06:34 AM

The likely cause of this is either that the valve is sticking down off its seat due to carbon on the stem, or that the tip of the valve stem is broken off or mushroomed over.  It could also be that the valve is bent.

If it's carbon/sticking, you can often free them up by tapping judiciously down on the lifter to make the valve bounce back and snap all the way back shut again.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matthew12816

Posted May 29, 2014 - 07:55 AM

Alright thanks for the ideas I will try that when I get off work tonight and keep you guys updated

• Matthew12816

Posted May 29, 2014 - 01:46 PM

Alright there was a little bit of carbon on the valves that weren't making them close right so I cleaned them up and got my bike back together but now my bike wont start

• Matthew12816

Posted May 29, 2014 - 05:43 PM

And before I put it back together I checked the timing and the valves where is specification

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.