What parts do I need for WR426F brake-light?

6 replies to this topic
  • WRTim

Posted January 20, 2004 - 08:26 PM

I just bought a brand-new 2001 WR426F and haven't even had a chance to take it to the dirt yet. I know that the stock tail-light is supposed to be a dual-filament bulb with an extra wire that can be used to run a brake light. What parts and part numbers do I need for sending the signal back to the tail-light? I searched the forum for this topic, but really didn't find any answers. Someone had told be to get the wiring harness/switch from a Honda XR or XL and hook it up to my brake pedal. What is the word from you guys on the best set-up? Thanks.

• 5spoke

Posted January 20, 2004 - 09:20 PM

I just bought a brand-new 2001 WR426F and haven't even had a chance to take it to the dirt yet. I know that the stock tail-light is supposed to be a dual-filament bulb with an extra wire that can be used to run a brake light. What parts and part numbers do I need for sending the signal back to the tail-light? I searched the forum for this topic, but really didn't find any answers. Someone had told be to get the wiring harness/switch from a Honda XR or XL and hook it up to my brake pedal. What is the word from you guys on the best set-up? Thanks.

This is what you need brake switch .

Hook the one wire on the switch to some juice. Find the spare wire running to the tailight and hook the other wire to it...bleed the brakes and ride. :)

• gomopar440

Posted January 21, 2004 - 06:02 AM

Make sure it is an ignition switched power source. The brown wire on the second plug nearest the odometer has what you need. Be sure to connect to the harness side otherwise your wires will be attached to the short wires that go to the ignition switch. I'm not sure how far back the brown wire travels down the frame but the closer to the hydraulic brake switch the better. I've used these hyd switches on a couple of bikes and swear by them for reliability as well as simplicity and weight savings :). If you have a Yammy dealer nearby, ask them if you can get one of the brass wire connectors that slide into the open slot on the harness side of the tail/brake light plug. Thats the best way to hook it up. Otherwise you might need to use just any old 3 wire plug and splice it in place of the stock plug.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PBDBLUE

Posted January 21, 2004 - 06:15 AM

Actually if the bike is stock (i.e. - no dual sport kit) the WR426 does not have an ignition switched wire. The yellow wire that comes from the magneto to the headlight switch will provide 12 volts AC anytime the motor is running.

• gomopar440

Posted January 21, 2004 - 07:55 AM

Sorry bout that, youre right. I was looking at my 03 WR450. I forgot they didn't have that on the 400&426. If your goal is to dual sport it, then you'll probably need a key switch of some kind anyway. Although, if you don't have a battery then there's nothing to drain so... :)

• azbillygoat

Posted January 21, 2004 - 05:20 PM

All the Japanese bikes have the same banjo bolt thread(Nissen brakes), so you should be able to get a pressure switch over the counter at your local shop.

Disconnect the 2 wires under the seat. You'll have to make a jumper wire with some 2 strand wire and bullet connectors to get power to the switch circuit. The power needs to come from the "tail light" power wire, go into the switch, come back out and go to the 3rd wire(brake light filament). It takes about an hour.

Since this is a parallel circuit, voltage will remain at 12v. Current draw is too low to consider for the size wire they use(overkill). Heat shrink over the wire to make it look nice and zip tie the wire to the frame to keep it out of the way.

You'll need a license plate light. If you're anal, jump more power off of the tail light circuit for a white LED. The rest of us would just grind an opening in the bottom of the tail light lens with a bench grinder so white light comes out and call it good. At least that's what we do in AZ.

• WRTim

Posted January 21, 2004 - 08:27 PM

Thanks a bunch. You guys are a great help. I'll have it working in no time.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.