Dented Header. What to do?

32 replies to this topic
  • bobpara

Posted May 29, 2014 - 07:52 AM

I guarantee it will work, you just need an Oxy/Ac torch and a compressor

• YZX

Posted May 29, 2014 - 04:10 PM

Heating up the area will work. Metal has memory.

• woods-rider

Posted May 30, 2014 - 09:05 AM

So, after two freeze cycles (my wife dumped the water out of it yesterday before she put it back in while I was at work :banghead:  so that one didn't count. I guess she doesn't understand hydrogen bonding.) the dent looks the same. For this last cycle I used a propane torch to heat up the dented area to try and only melt the ice there. I have not looked at it since I put it in last night though. Hopefully that made a difference in it's effectiveness.

• bobpara

Posted May 30, 2014 - 10:21 AM

Dying to know what worked.....

• woods-rider

Posted May 30, 2014 - 10:29 AM

Dying to know what worked.....

Me too!

I will be out of town for the weekend, so I won't be able to check it until Sunday night or Monday. I'll keep you guys posted on the progress though and I'll take some pics next time I look at it.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 30, 2014 - 10:44 AM

So, after two freeze cycles (my wife dumped the water out of it yesterday before she put it back in while I was at work :banghead:  so that one didn't count. I guess she doesn't understand hydrogen bonding.) the dent looks the same. For this last cycle I used a propane torch to heat up the dented area to try and only melt the ice there. I have not looked at it since I put it in last night though. Hopefully that made a difference in it's effectiveness.

You must be using water from a KTM radiator or something, cause I've done this trick 6 or 7 times with success

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • beezer

Posted May 30, 2014 - 11:15 AM

I've done the freezing a few times and it works but it may take a few times to get the dent out.

Heating a pipe with a torch and putting 100 psi in it is a really bad idea.

• woods-rider

Posted May 30, 2014 - 03:31 PM

It's working! The dent is almost all the way gone. This isn't a great pic but here it is. It's back in the freezer for another go.

3E67DD5C-D76F-4C96-A08B-E8BC55AE2184_zps

• YZX

Posted May 30, 2014 - 04:10 PM

Looking real good, almost like it never happened. :clap:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 31, 2014 - 02:30 PM

Now, go get some scotchbrite and clean the rust off of that header....

• woods-rider

Posted May 31, 2014 - 03:17 PM

Now, go get some scotchbrite and clean the rust off of that header....

Not going to happen. Most of that is baked on dirt that the pressure washer couldn't knock free, but trying to keep a steel header rust free is a loosing battle in the soggy Pacific Northwest.

• stevethe

Posted May 31, 2014 - 05:16 PM

Thought those headers were stainless steel.

• woods-rider

Posted May 31, 2014 - 05:52 PM

Thought those headers were stainless steel.

They are, but high heat and always being wet and pelted with rocks will make even stainless rust slightly.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.