Overheating in a strange way.

4 replies to this topic
  • Merrek553

Posted May 26, 2014 - 04:59 PM

Rode my YZ450F this past weekend and had a weird overheating problem. I was going pretty fast uphill in 5th gear then stopped at a road block and shut the bike off. About 5 minutes later I started riding again but was going slow in 2nd gear. The bike would die over and over again as I let out the clutch. Its an 06 and there is a vent tube that comes out of the top of the head that was spitting out white steam that smelt like burning coolant. Ended up walking the bike to make sure it didn't seize up on me. My buddy on his 05 cr450r was fine when he did the same thing as me (going fast then stopping). Any ideas whats wrong with the bike or why only my bike overheated this way?

• ekulb14

Posted May 26, 2014 - 06:08 PM

not 100% sure but that dosent sound like overheating issuse. maybe something worse :cry:  but i have no idea where to even start. im assuming ur coolant is full? and no carb/ engine work was done recentley? 

Edited by ekulb14, May 26, 2014 - 06:09 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Merrek553

Posted May 26, 2014 - 07:04 PM

not 100% sure but that dosent sound like overheating issuse. maybe something worse :cry:  but i have no idea where to even start. im assuming ur coolant is full? and no carb/ engine work was done recentley? 

yeah my coolant is full... I was worried it could be something worse. the coolant is clean and the oil is clean as well. a small hole was worn away in the case a few months back right by the drive sprocket but it was welded back together

• WYO522

Posted May 27, 2014 - 11:21 AM

Kinda sounds like a blown head gasket due to the white stuff and smell of coolant coming from the head vent.  A blown head gasket would also cause the bike to run funny due to the loss of compression. Doesn't sound good  :( Good luck!

Edited by WYO522, May 27, 2014 - 11:22 AM.

• Merrek553

Posted May 27, 2014 - 01:10 PM

Kinda sounds like a blown head gasket due to the white stuff and smell of coolant coming from the head vent.  A blown head gasket would also cause the bike to run funny due to the loss of compression. Doesn't sound good  :( Good luck!

Okay thanks. But when the bike is cold it runs absolutely perfect. which makes me think it might not be a head gasket..

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.