Exhaust getting very hot..

9 replies to this topic
  • jonesy383

Posted May 24, 2014 - 02:16 AM

Hey, i have had my bike apart to do my valves, now when i start it it idles high and exhaust gets red hot very quickly. I am pretty certain my timing is correct what else would cause this? cheers.

• flyandride

Posted May 24, 2014 - 05:15 AM

It's normal for the WR's header to glow red at idle with no air flow over it.  Hard to see it outside in daylight but in a garage or at night it's obvious.  

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 24, 2014 - 05:29 AM

Sudden high idle and excessive heat is usually caused by an air leak or fuel blockage in the carb (pilot, pilot passage)

• GuyGraham

Posted May 24, 2014 - 07:28 AM

Is the hot start mechannism stuck open - this bleeds air into the intake and causes a fast idle on a running bike

• luckyone24

Posted May 24, 2014 - 09:13 AM

what year is it?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flyandride

Posted May 24, 2014 - 05:28 PM

Are you having nightmares about your bare flesh sizzling against that red hot pipe?

• jonesy383

Posted May 25, 2014 - 03:44 AM

It's an 08, I've also notice the idle hanging a bit I never had any dramas with it before I shimmed the valves.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 25, 2014 - 05:08 AM

Re set your fuel screw for highest idle, starting at 1 turn and the lowest idle  you can achieve with the idle screw (hot motor)

Edited by TheKoolAidMadeMeSick, May 25, 2014 - 05:08 AM.

• guru

Posted May 25, 2014 - 08:33 AM

If everything checks out (no air leaks, plugged passages/jets and hot start) and it still glows hella hot you may have to go up a jet or two as you have increased your compression with your valve work. That's a good thing, now jet accordingly.

• travertt

Posted May 26, 2014 - 01:33 PM

My 04 WR450 exhaust header gets red hot very quickly if the bike is not moving...its normal...no worries....as soon as you start to move the red glow goes away.

Get your idle adjusted properly and don't worry about the red header when not moving.

I believe there are a couple of threads on the red hot header issue on this forum somewhere.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.