Valve adjustment of XR650R

7 replies to this topic
  • slowxr

Posted January 20, 2004 - 12:13 PM

Can you use a flat feeler gauge when adjusting the valves on an XR650R? Or do you need the gauge that's bent?

• Squash

Posted January 20, 2004 - 12:24 PM

Flat should be fine, and check out this link:

• drex

Posted January 20, 2004 - 01:37 PM

I tried the flat one and couldn't get it to work! Could have been operator error on my part. I paid $5 to buy the bent one from my local cycle shop and it was no problem.

Since I'd never done it before it was a little scary -- I didn't want to screw it up.

• qadsan

Posted January 20, 2004 - 02:36 PM

I'd highly recommend buying the little Motion Pro bent ones. They're much easier to use. I also like their valve adjusting tool as well :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rokatt88

Posted January 20, 2004 - 03:35 PM

Cool! I just got the Motion Pro bent ones for my big & little pigs. Me likem heap much. I didn't know they had a valve adjustment tool too! Hmmmmm....

• qadsan

Posted January 20, 2004 - 04:01 PM

Yeah, their tappet tool is kool, but I still use a box wrench for my final tightening. Here's the link to Motion Pro's Tappet Tool Set, but you can usually find them discounted at various shops.

Stubblefield Tools also make these in black for less money (instead of Chrome like Motion Pro). My guess is that Stubblefield makes them for Motion Pro, but both brands can be purchased from from a White Bothers dealer, which means you can also buy them at a discount from the TT store :)

I was just googling around and found this place that sells a copy and perhaps its from Stubblefield too.

• big t

Posted January 20, 2004 - 06:38 PM

I just did mine and used a flat feeler gauge but the bent one would be easier.

Posted January 20, 2004 - 07:09 PM

I removed the blades I needed from an old feeler gauge set and bent the ends myself. I think some of the "prebent" ones are bent too far from the end anyway. I bent mine very close to the end to make it easier to get them in there and use them as book marks in the repair manual so I can find them.

Related Content

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.