springs for an heavy guy

12 replies to this topic
  • sathio

Posted May 22, 2014 - 07:39 AM

Hi, I've just bought a 2012 wr450f  so far I love the bike, but I fell that when I'm all dressed and I also have the camel tank for water on my backpack I'm a bit too heavy for the bike.

I'm around 95kg (+-210 pound) what kind of modifications should I do?

• sathio

Posted May 22, 2014 - 07:42 AM

damn, I picked up the wrong sub forum, can anyone move it? sorry

• mch

Posted May 22, 2014 - 09:18 AM

damn, I picked up the wrong sub forum, can anyone move it? sorry

Depends on what type of riding, but I'm thinking

Forks: .48-.50 kg

Shock: 5.7 kg

Dual-Chamber Fork Pressure Springs: 1.8 kg or 2.2 kg 

Racetech.com has a spring rate finder.  I'm around 250 lbs and I have .50 in the front and 6.0 in th back.  I think you would be fine with 4.8 in the front and 5.7 in the rear.  If you opt to change the Dual Chamber springs, 1.8 would probably be good; I have the 2.2 kg springs in mine.

Edited by mch, May 22, 2014 - 09:19 AM.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted May 22, 2014 - 09:47 AM

Tell us more about the dual chamber fork pressure springs, please.  What are they and what do they do ?

• mch

Posted May 22, 2014 - 12:37 PM

Check this out: http://www.racetech....ressure Springs

I bought my 2012 WR in 2012, but then bought a used 2007 YZ450F in 2013.  When pulling a part the forks on the 07, those innner springs looked hammered.. they were about half the length of normal (would slide up and down along the shaft).  The service manual doesn't talk about it from what I remember.  Also, the 07 YZ and 12 WR forks are basically the same, with the exception of valving.

I serviced the forks recently on the 07 again, and then I saw the plastic reservoir pistons were coming a part (see pic) so I had to get those replaced too.  I found some locally (I needed to get the bike togethor quick) for about double the cost of what I see them online, but racetech sells alluminum replacements.  If you are going to replace that spring or the plastic piston, please invest (Prior to starting this) with a thin 14mm wrench.  There is a brand "V8" that looks like it should work, or also a "Cone Wrench" by Park (SCW-14) that should work.  Also, if any of you do not kow what you are looking at, the part pictured on the far right is a valve stack; the shiny part on the left is the top of the fork that contains that bleed screw and compression adjustment.  You do not need to remove the bottom nut (can't see it in this picture); that is only done when you are revalving it / getting to the individual shims.  You just use that 14mm thin wrench on the portion right at the bottom of the plastic piston and the whole valve stack comes off in one piece.  At that point, the plastic piston slides off and you can change out the spring.

DualChamber.jpg

If the piston breaks, you may find it a pain to get your forks seperated because it builds up an extreme vacume in the dual chamber and the only thing keeping your forks from being in the bottomed out position is the main fork spring.  That bottom bolt cap you need to 1st unscrew to get your forks seperated will just spin (I thought mine was stripped at 1st).   Once you clear the threads, you need to push down on the lower fork leg like you would normally do, but this time you need to also pull in the opposite direction (I used channel locks) on the bottom of the inner fork (the bolt / cap you just turned with the ratchet / socket).

Edited by mch, May 22, 2014 - 01:37 PM.

• sathio

Posted May 23, 2014 - 12:10 AM

thank you guys, I'll look into it.

see ya

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted July 19, 2014 - 05:08 PM

Do these springs do anything other than prevent cavitation ?   Do they affect plushness in any way ?

• cubera

Posted July 19, 2014 - 08:07 PM

Depends on what type of riding, but I'm thinking

Forks: .48-.50 kg

Shock: 5.7 kg

Dual-Chamber Fork Pressure Springs: 1.8 kg or 2.2 kg 

Racetech.com has a spring rate finder.  I'm around 250 lbs and I have .50 in the front and 6.0 in th back.  I think you would be fine with 4.8 in the front and 5.7 in the rear.  If you opt to change the Dual Chamber springs, 1.8 would probably be good; I have the 2.2 kg springs in mine.

I'm about your weight and run .52/6.3 and it is perfect for open desert. These rates are the ones recommended by my suspension guru ASRacing. It's like cheating

• mch

Posted July 20, 2014 - 05:12 AM

I'm about your weight and run .52/6.3 and it is perfect for open desert. These rates are the ones recommended by my suspension guru ASRacing. It's like cheating

I have always liked mine a little softer, but can imagine where a little stiffer rate would be nice at times.  I'm guessing a lot of people who have never rode desert think it's smooth riding... but desert whoops can be insane.. and they don't seem to end anytime soon.

• mch

Posted July 21, 2014 - 06:21 PM

Do these springs do anything other than prevent cavitation ?   Do they affect plushness in any way ?

Honestly, I'm not sure what the difference was, as I changed both springs at the same time.

• cubera

Posted July 22, 2014 - 02:17 PM

I have always liked mine a little softer, but can imagine where a little stiffer rate would be nice at times.  I'm guessing a lot of people who have never rode desert think it's smooth riding... but desert whoops can be insane.. and they don't seem to end anytime soon.

No doubt we joke about the "death whoops" in District 38 racing. A properly suspended machine will allow even an old fat guy like myself to become proficient on the whoops but still it's not a good idea to become overly confident. :banghead:  :lol:  :foul:  :ride:

• RockerYZWR

Posted July 22, 2014 - 02:34 PM

I have always liked mine a little softer, but can imagine where a little stiffer rate would be nice at times. I'm guessing a lot of people who have never rode desert think it's smooth riding... but desert whoops can be insane.. and they don't seem to end anytime soon.

And how. I want to say I hate the whoops but I don't. I just wish I was faster and didn't get so exhausted going through them. I need a revalve.

• cubera

Posted July 22, 2014 - 05:28 PM

And how. I want to say I hate the whoops but I don't. I just wish I was faster and didn't get so exhausted going through them. I need a revalve.

Call 661-993-0466 and ask for Kelley (she'll probably answer) and tell her what you need. You'll get hooked up with the best in the business.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.