1988 XR600R Starting Issues

3 replies to this topic
  • snakenmongoose

Posted January 20, 2004 - 11:34 AM

I'm new to the web site so be easy on me. I just purchased a 1988 xr600r which the engine just went through a $1500 overhaul (piston,ring,timing chain, etc) in Jan 03. I have been having trouble starting the thing. It usually takes around 15-18 kicks. Once the thing is warmed up it runs strong. But one thing, right after it grabs hold and tries to start, there is a pop at the bottom end of the idle. I usually have to keep my hand on the throttle at a mid rev to get it warmed up, but once it's hot, it will idle all day with no problem. The bike was put back to stock even with the correct jets. Where do I start, besides cleaning the plug and carb? Interesting note, the automatic decompression was removed and I use the manual everytime. :)

• fourstrokin650

Posted January 20, 2004 - 01:20 PM

I think the older XR's had issues with the stator's. You might want to check it out. I believe you can do this with a multimeter and without taking it apart. Check with Baja Designs www.bajadesigns.com . I think they have that info.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • irondude

Posted January 20, 2004 - 10:17 PM

geez- could be one of dozens of things...
Some possible culprits:
adjust the valves
vacuum leak on carb/manifold or airbox
dirty carb/fuel tank/fuel lines/fuel filter, etc.
wrong plug
over oiled airfilter
wrong jetting/adjustment (to rich?)

just some stuff to check...

Focus on the carb. :)

• snakenmongoose

Posted January 21, 2004 - 06:01 AM

Some great responses. I think I will go ahead and focus on the carb and jetting first, then continue on with some of the other suggested problems.

Thanks guys.

Related Content

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  40 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.