Fuel Tank

Body Gas Tanks & Accessories

4 replies to this topic
  • willpv13

Posted May 20, 2014 - 07:28 AM

I'm looking for a new fuel tank for my 2005 WR450. Any suggestion on some oversized tanks or were I can find a cheap stock tank?  

• BajaFool

Posted May 20, 2014 - 09:53 AM

Buy an Acerbis 3.3 gallon tank. Fits well, narrow shape and priced right. The Clark tank for your bike only holds 2.8 gallons, why bother.

Avoid IMS brand. Their tank fits low and close to the exhaust header, which has caused problems with melted tanks and the potential for fire (see the discussion on this subject in this forum over the last week or so).

I had the Acerbis tank that allowed the installation of the stock radiator air shrouds. I just shopped for these and many on line stores list this as the YZ450F tank. It fits the WR and the YZ. The only difference in application is which hole, there are two, you screw the forward seat alignment screw into. The tank retails for $270. I saw them advertised on line for $190 - 210, depending on color apparently, with free shipping, this week.

I currently ride an aluminum framed Yamaha. I chose a Clark tank because the Acerbis tank for my current bike is that ugly style tank where the radiator shrouds are part of the tank, similar to KTM style oversized tanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flyandride

Posted May 20, 2014 - 10:49 AM

I have an '09 and got the Acerbis 3.3 gallon tank on ebay for $216 shipped a couple months ago.  I got the ugly style that BajaFool mentions.  The bike went from sleek to an ugly mutt.  

It is supposed to hold 3.3 gallons but there is some that is below the petcock that's not accessible in the part of the tank that doubles as the radiator shrouds.  And I'm worried that if I spill the bike in rocks, that part of the tank could get a hole.  Otherwise it fit well and went on without any problems.

I saw a black oversize tank  on a '12 that used the stock shrouds.  The guy said he got it from Yamaha but didn't know what brand and that it held 3 gallons. 

• willpv13

Posted May 20, 2014 - 11:35 AM

Thanks. That was very helpful. I think im going to get the Clarke 2.8. I never had a problem with the fuel capacity of the 2.5 stock tank, I just cracked it on my last ride.

I agree with you on the IMS. It does seem like it sits low. In the picture on the website it seems like it sits only about a couple inches away from the exhaust. Also, I don't see how they keep the gas from accumulating on the right side once the gas levels get low.

Buy an Acerbis 3.3 gallon tank. Fits well, narrow shape and priced right. The Clark tank for your bike only holds 2.8 gallons, why bother.

Avoid IMS brand. Their tank fits low and close to the exhaust header, which has caused problems with melted tanks and the potential for fire (see the discussion on this subject in this forum over the last week or so).

I had the Acerbis tank that allowed the installation of the stock radiator air shrouds. I just shopped for these and many on line stores list this as the YZ450F tank. It fits the WR and the YZ. The only difference in application is which hole, there are two, you screw the forward seat alignment screw into. The tank retails for $270. I saw them advertised on line for $190 - 210, depending on color apparently, with free shipping, this week.

I currently ride an aluminum framed Yamaha. I chose a Clark tank because the Acerbis tank for my current bike is that ugly style tank where the radiator shrouds are part of the tank, similar to KTM style oversized tanks.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 20, 2014 - 07:19 PM

The Clarke will prevent you from having kids if you over stop

The Acerbis is a little better

The IMS is smooth and safe

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.